Recruitment Notice: Food Technologist (PM), Kenya – Project SIMA
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: The Food Fortification Program, a partnership between TechnoServe and Partners in Food Solutions (PFS), aims to increase the compliance rates of private sector food processors against national food fortification mandates, thereby increasing the production of fortified staple foods.
PFS is a non-profit organization linking the technical and business expertise of volunteer employees from General Mills, Cargill, Royal Dutch DSM, Bühler, and the Hershey Company to assist food processors and millers in the developing world.
The aim will be to change the behavior of food processing companies to adopt cost-effective fortification practices that result in their ongoing adherence to fortification technologies and inputs, expanding their product reach, and improving their operational capacities and efficiencies.
Position Description: The Food Technologist (FT) will manage the implementation of the Maize Flour Fortification project (Project SIMA) in Kenya, working within the program resources and mandate to meet the objectives of their country plan.
The FT will establish relationships with Medium and Small scale Maize Millers and industry stakeholders and identify capacity-building needs towards improving industry compliance, he/she will then work with support from PFS experts to define and execute projects that improve processor compliance to fortification standards.
The FT will proactively review, make recommendations and report on programmatic activities to deliver TechnoServe’s strategic plan for Food Fortification in their country and as part of the broader regional program.
The FT will also correspond actively with the Strengthening African Processors of Fortified Foods (SAPFF) project, which also targets support to larger Maize Millers to avoid overlap and duplication of work.
The FT will coordinate with the SAPFF Senior Business Advisor (SBA) in order to identify and assist with technical needs of food processors, and support complementary business needs of assisted food companies. Business support will include assisting processors with customized business planning, adoption of food fortification and food safety protocols, overseeing market studies, and developing customized processor marketing strategies, business operations and provision of other business advisory services.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Work with selected Maize milling companies to identify their challenges to adequate fortification compliance, support assisted companies with solutions to address these challenges and coordinate with experts from PFS partner companies as needed for additional technical advice
- Identify common Maize millers’ fortification challenges and work with SAPFF team to support the design and delivery of sector wide training workshops to strengthen these gaps
- Review, monitor, and report on all programmatic activities including periodic progress, and financial reports, ensuring strict compliance with TNS’s objectives, strategies, policies and procedures. Make appropriate recommendations on the implementation plan
- Represent TNS and the fortification program at the country level, meeting with potential partners and stakeholders: Maize milling company directors and production managers, government institutions and regulators, technical industry experts, service providers and universities, complimentary programs, NGOs and related agencies
- Identify, review and select prospective maize milling companies for program support, champion the needs of selected companies, familiarize them with the program offering and help them navigate the fortification regulation requirements as effectively as possible
- Assist the Regional Program Director and management unit in timely tracking of country expenditures, budget management and forecasting, monitoring and evaluation of program results and the development of project work plans
- Represent the country activities through reports, presentations, hosting of leadership, donor or stakeholder site visits and other communications as required.
- Prepare an annual project narrative report and coordinate compilation of annual project financial report for the donor.
Key Organizational Relationships
- The FT will report directly to the Regional Program Director-SAPFF on strategic issues related to work planning, targets, budgets, staff and program delivery
- The FT will receive technical oversight and support from the PFS Technical Lead with respects to training and technology transfer to assisted companies
- Kenya Country Director to align with country objectives, administrative and compliance requirements and to receive support and assistance from the local office as required
- Regional and Kenya Country M&E manager to facilitate data capture and reporting
- Kenya Country office accountant and financial controller to reconcile program expenses, budget tracking and prepare for upcoming expenses
Required skills and experience
- At least 7 years of experience working in the food industry for either the private sector or implementing on behalf of a development program, with strong quality management experience a must
- Managerial experience, including supervision of staff, budget management and use of project management systems
- Bachelor’s in Food Technology, Nutrition, or food industry related fields; Master’s preferred
- Computer literacy with excellent Excel, MS word, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent command of spoken and written English is essential
- Working knowledge of Swahili is highly desirable
- Ability and willingness to travel both locally and abroad
- Food processing experience, preferably in staple foods, with an understanding of quality management, food regulatory compliance and fortification technology
- Strong project management and strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind and commitment to quality; rigorous approach with a high level of attention to detail.
- Highly level of integrity – present truthful information in an appropriate and helpful matter and keeps confidences
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your application (by email only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title placed in the subject line.
Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae (3) Current salary.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 9th March 2018.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females and Individuals with Disabilities.