Trust for Indigenous Culture and Health (TICAH)
We are hiring a Program Coordinator!
About TICAH: TICAH is a feminist organization that works to promote health, equitable relationships, and community action. It seeks to enhance the positive links between health and cultural knowledge, practices, beliefs and artistic expression. We believe that culture shapes health, that beauty is powerful, that expression is activism and that stories have something to teach.
Our work includes training and research in people’s rights to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health, publication and documentation to stimulate attention to grassroots solutions, advocacy on sexual and reproductive health and creative projects to raise our communal voices to affect national policy and programs.
With a team of 17, TICAH’s work has impacted over 120,000 people and with our MAMA Network program we have collaborated with ten grassroots organizations across seven African countries and are looking to expand to five more in the next two years.
TICAH’s sexuality program “Our Bodies, Our Choices” has produced informative and provocative sexuality curriculums and facilitation guides for all ages. We facilitate peer discussions reaching communities that include in-school and out-of-school girls and boys, people living with HIV, sex workers and women with disabilities.
We run a hotline that provides advice on sexuality and reproductive health including information on safe and legal abortion; and gives referrals to services connecting women and girls to much needed reproductive health services.
About the role: The Programs Manager will oversee the day-to-day strategic and operational development of the sexuality programs and supervise a team of five to deliver on the program objectives.
He/she will have the primary responsibility of implementing TICAH’s program under the Amplify Change grants including coordinating community trainings on comprehensive matters of SRHR and overseeing the MAMA-Network program.
TICAH is the lead organization in the MAMA Network and a key player in increasing access to safe and legal abortion and the advancement of SRHR in Kenya, therefore providing exciting opportunities and challenges to the Programs Manager.
Your responsibilities will include:
Oversee TICAH’s programs and partnerships
- Grow mama network, by scouting new organisations and conducting due diligence
- Increase visibility of MAMA Network members and drive advocacy for joint strategies and shared agenda.
- Manage the day to day MAMA Network joint programs and projects in close collaboration with strategic partners including monitoring of work plans and budgets, quality reporting to donors and fundraising
- Collaborate with key MAMA Network members and strategic partners to conceptualize and develop strategic plans as well as ensure continuous program innovation
- Keep overview of cross regional planning, implementation and evaluation of MAMA Network collaborative projects
- Drive collaboration with other TICAH staff to ensure effective & efficient project development and implementation across our partner organizations
- Drive cross organization learning through capturing and designs effective tools and channels for information sharing.
- Conduct needs analysis and facilitating cross regional capacity building including coordination of regional trainings and mentoring for the member organizations
- Coordinate regular reporting by MAMA Network members and project staff.
- Ensure implementation of THE PROCESS MONITORING EVALUATION AND LEARNING (PMEL), by MAMA Network members and work with researchers and strategic partners on indicators, measuring tools and programmatic learning from evaluation.
- Lead and develop the team, keeping performance and motivation high.
- Ensure there is effective delivery and coordination of all projects by working with the team to anticipate and handle challenges faced in the programs.
- Securing regular, timely and effective reporting and communication
- Act as pillar that the team can rely on for support, encouragement & inspiration as they navigate the challenges of their day to day work
- Leading the team in prioritisation and accountability of tasks
- Act as a focal point for MAMA Network members, joint programs and projects
Program Finances and Fundraising
- Allocate funds across different donor projects for TICAH programs and sub-grantees
- Create work plans for project officers
- Oversee the programmatic reporting on financing
- Strategically analyse the budget and expenses and make suggestions for improvement
- Collaborate and contribute to proposal writing and fundraising
External relations management
- Represent MAMA Network to donors and identify (new) strategic opportunities, partners and networks, and areas of work to achieve short term and long term impact.
- Host donor events and research on forums where TICAH needs to be represented with an aim of bringing in new partners, donors and ideas of opportunities to continue growing our programs
Who we are looking for:
- You have a strong passion for sexual and reproductive health rights and believe that women are free to make their own choices in SRHR. You have an open-mind and curiosity in matters of reproductive health
- You have at least 3-5 years of total work experience and have managed a project team for at least one year
- You have advanced knowledge about strategies and programs aiming to increase access to SRHR including contraceptives and safe & legal abortion, based on SRHR and human rights frameworks, specifically focusing on the potential of medical abortion and WHO recommendations and protocols
- You have proven experience and skills collaborating with grass roots groups and community based activists through networking, facilitating forums, running capacity building events and co-coordination of joint projects,
- You thrive in multicultural environments
- You have good skills in participatory methods and facilitation
- You enjoy collaborative relationships with teams and external stakeholders and can drive strong results through others
- You have good experience in program management, project design and planning and donor reporting.
- You have overseen strategic planning and can draw lessons for the purpose of organizational learning
- You have knowledge and experience in various monitoring and evaluation practices in NGOs and have the know-how of driving KPI definition and tracking
- You have a foundation experience in fundraising and proposal writing
- You have experience in managing program budgeting and sub-granting to implementing partners
- You have participated in regional/international networking events
- You have impressive relationship building skills and can initiate, identify and build connections with new partners or donors
- You have basic skills and knowledge in excel sheets and can create programmatic budgets
- You have the ability to deliver independently in a highly demanding environment, while at the same time inviting others to collaborate with you
- You are a self-starter – you thrive in taking initiatives to creatively solve real life day to day problems
- Your pride yourself as a great planner with meticulous attention to details and great self organization skills
- You are great listener- you take a consultative approach to understanding the root problems in any situation
- You enjoy working with absolute responsibility for your deliverables and approach
- Excellent written & oral communication skills
- Ability to speak French would be an added advantage.
You have the right fit with our culture if:
- You are genuinely interested and comfortable conversing on diverse ideas and opinions
- You continuously challenge your own assumptions and beliefs
- You love or are interested in exploring the African indigenous culture
- You don’t judge people for their life choices but genuinely want to support them!
- You think out of the box, and work hard to see your crazy ideas come into life
- You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between interacting with grassroots community members, and high-level stakeholders
Why work with us?
- You will be part of growing our impact with a vast exciting network and pool of partnerships that we have built over the past 14 years
- Exposure to participate and contribute across all our programs
- An opportunity to dream of all possible solutions and make them come true
- We are a committed team and we treat each other like family
- Our team works hard and also realizes the importance of having fun in and out of work
- We walk our talk. We are brave and bold in everything we do
- We are an egalitarian organization – if equality and fair access to opportunity excites you, join us!
Other information: The role is based in our main office in Karen, Nairobi.
Due to the nature of work additional hours may be required. At times, program activities extend into the weekend and may require your participation.
We are looking for candidates who are excited about working in our organization for a minimum of 3-5 years.
There is a six month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Want to apply?
- First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Fill out the application form under: http://bit.ly/JoinTICAH
- You will be asked to upload your CV at the end of the application form. Please ensure it is in PDF format, tailored to this role and no more than 3 pages.
Selection process in collaboration with edge