United States International University (USIU) – Africa, situated in Nairobi, Kenya is the most diverse university in East and Central Africa with almost 7000 students from 74 nations, and a global network of more than 17,000 alumni.
In line with USIU – Africa’s commitment to providing quality, affordable education through world-class service delivery platforms, USIU-Africa is seeking to recruit
a suitable candidate for the following position:
Teaching Laboratory Technologists
Reporting to the Program Director,the successful candidates will be mainly responsible for the smooth running of teaching labs and ensuring users (faculty and students) receive maximum benefits from available lab resources.
- Supporting and advising students and faculty on the appropriate use of IT resources in the Labs in order to provide a positive learning experience;
- Enforcing safe practices and maintaining security of all hardware, network and data held and accessed, in compliance with the university’s ICT policies;
- Planning and undertaking scheduled maintenance upgrades, cleaning of computers and audio visual equipment;
- Prepare lab schedule and time allocation for computer labs;
- Analyzing and recovering system when malfunction occurs;
- Supporting the roll-out of new instructional software and applications;
- Responding within agreed time limits to call-outs;
- Working continuously on a task until completion (or referral to third parties, if appropriate).
- Prioritizing and managing many open cases at one time;
- Obtaining replacement on fixtures or fittings;
- Identifying possible ICT requirements and solutions.
- Maintaining a complete and up-to-date inventory and asset register of all SST computers, servers, consumables, networking equipment and the relevant software accompanying them used for instructional purposes.
- Coordinating and scheduling work with vendor service providers in consultation with program director.
- In consultation with faculty, develop lab manuals for lab-based courses.
- Providing periodic reports relevant for monitoring and evaluation.
- Attending meetings and facilitating training sessions where relevant.
- Maintain compliance with all university policies and procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Undergraduate qualification in IT or related field from an accredited university;
- Certification in Linux/Unix, Cisco, Microsoft, Linux, IT Security and Programming,
- At least two (2) years of relevant post-qualification experience.
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
- Confidentiality and Integrity;
- Proficiency in Computer Applications;
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Relationship Builder & Effective Negotiator;
- Good Communication Skills;
- Attention to Detail;
- Adaptability and Reliability
Incumbents will be expected to continue upgrading their knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes and trends in higher education.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the following address by: Friday, March 23, 2018.
Director of Administration,
United States International University – Africa
P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi,
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.
NOTE: USIU-Africa has neither appointed any agent(s) to recruit, nor collects any charges/fees on its behalf, for any vacancies it has announced. All University communication to potential candidates is specifically through the following email address: email@example.com.
The applicant should kindly indicate on the subject line (in case of email), whichever position he/she has applied for.