Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.
By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
Position Title: Chief of Party (COP), Irrigation and Agriculture
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports To: Senior Director, Water
Program Summary: Winrock is seeking Chief of Party candidates for a USG-funded project that will support the sustainable development of small and medium irrigation schemes across the country. The project will work with the Kenyan government to construct several irrigation schemes and directly benefit at least 2,500 farmers.
In conjunction with construction, the project will integrate interventions in governance, agricultural production and finance to enhance sustainability. The COP will provide overall leadership and direction for the project. The project will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel in country.
Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
- Provide overall technical leadership and administrative oversight in order to achieve the results of the program, including supervising the technical direction of the program including scheme construction, capacity building of irrigation scheme water user associations and agricultural cooperatives, value chain interventions and finance interventions to increase farmer’s access to credit and attract private-sector investment in irrigation.
- Oversee and be responsible for financial and administrative aspects of the program including managing the budget.
- Oversee project partners in charge for carrying out varied technical aspects of the program including agricultural production, governance, and enhancing access to credit.
- Provide supervision, support, and direction to long- and short-term staff.
- Monitor program indicators and achievement against targets, evaluate program outcomes and challenges, and adapt technical and management strategies to meet or exceed results and objectives and achieve deliverables.
- Ensure that program approaches are inclusive and that women and marginalized groups are active participants and beneficiaries.
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports, and monitor the implementation of planned components and interventions.
- Interact directly and on a regular basis with the donor and other key partners and stakeholders including government, agribusinesses, banks, and other financial institutions.
- Participate in regular field visits to the project areas to assure project progress towards activity objectives and goals.
- Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
- Manage relationships with other USG implementing partners and donor projects.
- Provide leadership to effectively integrate strategies, approaches, and partnerships.
- Build collaborative relationships and partnerships with potential to sustain and scale up irrigation scheme and agribusiness value chain investments.
- Represent Winrock at meetings and events as required.
- Provide oversight for program systems and procedures, ensuring successful operational management, and compliance with established Winrock accounting principles and USG regulations.
- Manage sub-contracts to ensure high quality, timely deliverables.
- Prepare and submit quarterly reports on progress of activities and achievement of program results to USG.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working in agriculture, irrigation scheme construction and management and value chain development; experience working with banks, impact investors, or private sector on finance, public-private partnerships or other investments strongly preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working on integrated programs that cover multiple fields of expertise (construction, governance, agricultural production, private sector partnerships, and microfinance)
- Minimum 10 years’ progressively responsible supervisory work experience managing complex international development programs of similar size and scope, including direct supervision of professional and support staff required.
- Proven record of leveraging private sector investment and achieving development impact in similar projects focusing on irrigation and/or agriculture development, private sector development, and related fields.
- Experience working in irrigation/construction and agricultural supply chains in East Africa strongly preferred.
- COP or Program Director experience on USG-funded projects is strongly preferred.
- Experience must demonstrate the ability to effectively manage a large team
- Technical and managerial experience in East Africa is required.
Education: Advanced degree in finance, business, environment, natural resource management, resource economics, agriculture, or related international development field.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience in East Africa, especially in Kenya
- Technical knowledge of construction, irrigation, agriculture, value chain development, and finance
- Knowledge of USG policies and procedures as related to project management
- Excellent management, communication, and organization skills are required.
- Must have the ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for low emissions development.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational and networking role as well as interacting with local stakeholders and beneficiaries.
Other: Fluency in English and strong written English is required.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should CLICK HERE or go to the ‘Join Us’ link at www.winrock.org and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing ‘Chief of Party – Irrigation and Agriculture’ by April. 1, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so interested applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the deadline.
Winrock would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.