Vacant Position: Deputy Senior Grants Manager
Introduction: The Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) is a governance support program of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) / The Department for International Development (DFID) in Kenya and is implemented by The State University of New York / Center for International Development and its partners.
AHADI is designed to support Kenya’s vision and agenda for achieving the promise of devolution.
The program’s interventions aim to promote governance systems that are transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens by working at both the national and county government levels.
The purpose of this project is to help Kenya achieve the promise of devolution: a governance system that is more transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens.
AHADI has three key objectives:
- Objective #1: Targeted Counties provide higher quality services through improved governance
- Objective #2: improved representation of citizen interests and oversight of targeted County government performance
- Objective #3: Functionality and effectiveness of the devolved system increased through improved intra-government engagement and cooperation.
The program is currently seeking a skilled, diplomatic, effective, and highly motivated Deputy Senior Grants Manager.
Position Summary: Deputy Senior Grants Manager will advise and assist in the design, development, and oversight of the USAID/DFID and SUNY/RF management policies, procedures and practices.
She/He shall provide policy guidance and interpretation for staff as well as grantees, analyze and evaluate grant applications, proposals, and awards to ensure adherence to grants management policies; ensure proper negotiation of the terms and conditions for grants and views and analyzes budget estimates for allowability, allocability, reasonableness, and consistency.
She/He will assisting all aspects of grants management process, including upgrading and updating grants management systems, reviewing and updating Grants Under Contract Manual, drafting solicitations, managing proposal review, designing grant templates, drafting grants, ensuring grantee compliance with relevant rules, flow down clauses, grant requirements, and close-out.
The Deputy Senior Grants Manager (DSGM) ensures that all AHADI grants are managed, implemented, reported and closed rapidly and effectively, in full compliance with USAID/DFID and SUNY/RF regulations and policies.
Reports to: Senior Grants Manager
Interrelationships: The GM must coordinate with all other AHADI team members including the senior GM, and the program team (Program Director and the Senior Devolution Advisors).
The GM is the key liaison between the grantee, the program staff, and the procurement, finance, reporting and M&E teams.
Employment Terms: Open contract, subject to availability of funding.
The position requires 4 years’ experience in managing multiple grants, a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, International Development or related field relevant to the position and a minimum of 3 years working with grantees and USAID/DFID grants.
The Deputy Senior Grants Manager will be familiar with USAID/DFID financial systems and regulations have a demonstrated ability to work as a member of a results oriented team, demonstrate good management skills, and be able to perform quality work under tight deadlines.
S/he shall be fluent in oral and written English, and possess good IT and MS Office skills (proficiency in Excel required).
Experience with finance, procurement and accounting is expected.
- Primary deputy to the Senior Grants Manager.
- Assist the grantee and the program team on the design and development of the grant, ensuring that best practices are incorporated and lessons from other grants are considered.
- Assist in the monitoring and implementation of grants.
- Ensure full compliance with AHADI policies and procedures and consistency with the AHADI Grants under Contract Manual. This includes specific procedures relating to grant solicitation and selection, grant awards, grant implementation, grant monitoring and grant close-outs.
- Ensure effective liaison between AHADI project staff and grant recipients; provide project grant recipients with technical advice and assistance as needed in areas such as financial management, procurement requirements and implementation planning.
- Ensure the proper preparation and execution of grant documents and grant disbursements consistent and compliant with USAID/DFID and SUNY/RF requirements, and AHADI procedures and best practices. Documentation required will include APS or RFAs, grant agreements, negotiation memos, grant activity forms, branding and marking plans, environmental compliance, and others.
- In coordination with finance and procurement staff, analyze, assess, and assist with budgetary and financial aspects of grant proposals, recipient financial management capacities and planning for implementation/procurement and cash disbursement needs for grants implementation throughout the life of the project.
- Deputize the SGM as may be necessary.
Grant Design, Review and Award Process
- Draft APSs and RFAs with assistance from the Senior Deputy Senior Grants Manager.
- Assist the Senior Grants Manager in developing frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), guidelines, documents and responses to requests for information.
- Serve on the Grants Selection Committee and assist the Senior Grants Manager in accordance with the Grants Manual to score and select grant recipients to ensure they meet the objectives and comply with AHADI and USAID/DFID rules and regulations.
- Documenting the grants review and selection process for the grant files for each APS, RFA, or unsolicited proposal.
- Analyze and evaluate grant concepts, proposals, and grant agreement/award documents to ensure that they are the relevant and efficient, that they adhere to established grants management policies, and are well-suited for AHADI.
- Work closely with grantees and other AHADI staff to develop or revise detailed grant budgets so that they are cost-effective, realistic, and appropriate to the needs of the activity.
- Ensure proper negotiation of final terms and conditions for all grants; review and analyze budget estimates (for all grant types) for allocability, reasonableness, and consistency.
- Ensure that all unsuccessful applicants receive an AHADI response.
- Lead or organize grantee trainings, grantee outreach meetings, and pre-solicitation meetings.
Grant Management and Close-Out
- Ensure that all grant files are complete and maintained as required.
- Conduct site visits to selected grantee organizations to directly observe project implementation, provide project management support, train on USAID/DFID rules and regulations.
- Ensure that in-kind grants are implemented efficiently by coordinating, when needed, between the procurement, finance, and others.
- Ensure that each grantee project submits requests for reimbursements, and reports financial status, progress reports, deliverables and monitoring and evaluation data as required.
- Ensure that grants are closed out in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the Finance Manager is aware about all upcoming grant disbursements to ensure adequate cash flow.
- Provide input to the MERLA and branding sections of each grant
- Work closely with Program team, ensure that monitoring, evaluation, reporting, learning and adapting activities are conducted and that all information is being captured and recorded in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Provide timely information to the Communications officer for the monthly and quarterly reports or for other ad-hoc reporting.
- Coordinate with the M&E Specialist to ensure that s/he is able to access all the information needed.
Deputizing the Senior Grants Manager Role:
S/he will support the SGM under the following responsibilities:
- Act as the point of contact for grants department in the absence of SGM
- Assign tasks to the Grants Team as may be required from time to time
- Ensure that the Grants Trackers and PMS system is updated on a weekly basis
Other Duties as Requested
- Assume additional responsibilities of a programmatic / financial / administrative nature as position may require or as assigned by the Senior Grants Manager.
- Assist on finance and accounting as assigned by the finance director, for any work that is not related to grants assigned to the Grant Manager.
Location and Duration: The location for the Deputy Senior Grants Manager is in the Nairobi.
The job description will be valid for one year and upon the end of the contract period (of one year) can be revised and renewed by the Chief of Party and by SUNY/CID.
How to Apply
If you possess the skills and qualifications as contained in the respective position descriptions, please send (1) a Cover letter (2) CV and (3) References from three Professional Referees, one referee should be previous or current supervisor to Hr@ahadi-devolution.org
Closing date: 15th April 2018.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Kindly put the subject line for the position you are applying for.
Applications without the subject line will not be evaluated.
SUNY-AHADI is an equal opportunities employer.
Deputy Senior Grants Manager
Business and Financial Operations
|Company / Organization||
USAID AHADI Governance Support Program
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||