Job Vacancy: Tourism & Protected Area Specialist
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a key player in African conservation and sustainable development.
AWF is seeking a high performing and results oriented Tourism Advisor who will be responsible for reviewing and updating the Tourism Plan in consultation with Ethiopia Wildlife Conservation Authority (EWCA) staff and AWF as well as other identified stakeholders so that the plan can be incorporated into a revised and updated General Management Plan for the SMNP.
This position will report to the Vice President for Programs, East & Southern Africa and based in Debark, Ethiopia.
- Implement agreed aspects of the Tourism Plan.
- Work with the current tourism operators to help them improve their products.
- Work with EWCA and the Chief Technical Advisor to reduce the number of ‘locals’ that visiting tourists are obligated to take with them in the park.
- Work with the local guides association to improve the service and product that they are able to offer.
- Work with the appointed consultant to develop an improved trail system within the SMNP.
- Work with EWCA and the AWF Program Manager to concession out appropriate new tourism sites.
- At least 10 years’ experience working in the nature-based tourism sector with strong experience in Africa.
- Preferably experience of owning or running a tourism company.
- Preferably experience with wildlife and property management.
- Experience developing business plans for tourism operations.
- Experience in concessioning and tendering tourism facilities.
- Ability to work well with Governments and local authorities.
- Tourism marketing experience will be beneficial.
- Computer literate with a good knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply through http://www.awf.org/about/careers/.
Please send a cover letter, your detailed CV and a writing sample as a single PDF document indicating daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees with the Job Title in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Given the urgency in filling this position, candidates will be screened on an ongoing basis and closed once position is filled.
Closing Date: April 30, 2018
Tourism & Protected Area Specialist
Life, Physical, and Social Science
|Company / Organization||
African Wildlife Foundation (AWF)
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||