Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks a candidate for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Kenya Project in the following position:-
Entomology Technical Manager
Duty Station / Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Under the supervision of the Kenya Chief of Party and with “dotted line” reporting to the PMI VectorLink Project’s UK-based Entomology Advisor, the Entomology Technical Manager provides leadership and management oversight of all of the project’s entomological surveillance activities in Kenya, in collaboration with the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), coordinate and oversee the project’s key entomological monitoring activities for IRS and will guide key project and country-level IRS decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Leads the development of an entomological monitoring plan, in collaboration with national counterparts at the NMCP or designated research institution.
- Reviews the content of communications materials for technical accuracy.
- Manages field-based entomology teams to ensure monthly data collection, data quality and control.
- Ensures the transfer of technical skills to local institutions.
- Responsible for producing high quality entomological reports, including spray quality reports.
- Coordinate the implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
- The establishment of sentinel sites in each target district.
- Pre- and post-pyrethrum spray collections to monitor indoor resting vector populations
- Wall bioassays two to three weeks after every spray cycle to evaluate the quality of spraying.
- Wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of insecticide.
- Vector susceptibility studies annually for all currently used and candidate insecticides in order to monitor resistance status.
- Provide guidance and support to a focal counterpart from the MOH/NMCP or research institution for the supervision of district-level field teams of entomological technicians or vector control officers who perform mosquito collections and tests.
- Ensure that the field teams follow all WHO approved guidelines, protocols, and techniques for mosquito collections and tests.
- Ensure that all data from all collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identifications, and undertake data analysis and prepare monitoring reports.
- Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Bachelors Degree (minimum), or a Masters Degree (desirable), in Entomology, Public Health, Environmental Health, or other relevant field.
- Minimum six (6) years of relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control and IRS Operations.
- Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
- English language fluency.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to VectorControl_Kenya@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “County Coordinator” by COB Friday, May 11th, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.