Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks a candidate for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Kenya Project in the following position:-
Entomology Lab Technician
Duty Station / Location: Kisumu County, Kenya
Under the supervision of the Technical Manager, the Entomology Lab Technician will be in charge of all entomology lab activities, will perform all the molecular analyses and sample archiving and will oversee the sample sorting and insectary laboratories.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Receive samples from the field and verify their condition and number.
- Perform ELISA tests for detection of sporozoite in mosquitoes.
- Perform DNA extraction in mosquitoes for species identification PCR to differentiate different species of mosquitoes and real-time PCR for detection of kdr alleles in mosquitoes for insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Maintain safe working standards in all laboratory procedures and ensure proper storage of biological samples.
- Keep inventory of all lab equipment and consumables and make requests for additional supplies through the PMI VectorLink Kenya Technical Manager.
- Generate regular lab reports and submit to the PMI VectorLink Kenya Technical Manager.
- Submit all lab generated data to the data clerk for entry in timely manner.
- Conduct WHO susceptibility and CDC bottle assay tests for evaluation of insecticide resistance in malaria vectors.
- Be available to perform any additional task as assigned responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will work with the Entomology
- Laboratory Technician, Insectary Technician and Data Entry Clerk to ensure uninterrupted, high quality entomological activities.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Bachelors Degree in bio-chemistry, laboratory, veterinary or other related health field.
- At least two (2) years of experience in busy entomoogy laboratory.
- Knowledge in computer skills including Microsoft Access, Word, Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of English bot spoken and written
- Experience in real time PCR and microarray analysis is an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to VectorControl_Kenya@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “County Coordinator” by COB Friday, May 11th, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.