Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks a candidate for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Kenya Project in the following position:-
Entomology Insectary Technician
Duty Station / Location: Kisumu County, Kenya
Under the supervision of the Technical Manager, the Entomology Insectary Technician manages the insectary located in Kisumu.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain the mosquito colony in the insectary.
- Ensure the feeding of lab animals and mosquito colony.
- Ensure and coordinate the cleaning of the insectary.
- Establish regularly the needs required for the insectary.
- Ensure the appropriate storage of equipment and animal food.
- Ensure appropriate records are kept in the laboratory log books.
- Assist with procurement requests related to this activity.
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) for these activities.
- Participate in other field activities as required.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Country Technical Manager.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Secondary School (Diploma A2).
- Experience in entomology insectary work for at least six (6) months.
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft word, Excel, Access and Power Point).
- Knowledge of English both spoken and written
- Experience with wall and net bioassay
- Experience with WHO susceptibility tests and CDC bottel assay for evaluation of insecticide resistance in malaria vectors
- Experience with culturing of wild collected mosquitoes in the insecatry is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to VectorControl_Kenya@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “County Coordinator” by COB Friday, May 11th, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.