International Medical Corps
Employment Opportunity: Medical Doctor with Obstetric Skills
Duty Station: Abudwak, Somalia
Background: International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve quality of life through interventions that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
Since 1991, International Medical Corps has responded to the emergency needs of the Somali population through interventions in health, nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods.
1. Surgery and related issues:
- Consult and identify patients requiring surgery, emergency intervention and/or resuscitation.
- Supervise the activities in recovery care room.
- Prescribe the pain-management treatment according to the pain-level classification.
- Prescribe pre-operative and post-operative treatment according to international guidelines and protocols.
- Supervise all deliveries conducted in the hospital and identify those that need intervention.
- Contact other MD’s (surgeon) or medical director in collaboration with Health officers for any problem related to surgery.
- Identify training needs and perform trainings for staff when necessary.
2. Management of Surgical Department (OT):
- Organisation of the OT on daily basis.
- In collaboration with the Health officers carry out daily and long-term management and provision of support to the staff in the department; including planning of leaves, back up planning.
- To hold regular medical meetings with the OT staff.
- Support staff in their execution of activities, and follow it up closely.
- Identify training needs and perform trainings for OT staff as necessary in collaboration with the other MD, Health officers and Medical director.
- Monitor use and care of O.T equipment and instrument.
- Contribute to the order of O.T items and drugs, that is both monthly and quarterly.
- Ensure aseptic and sterilization measures are in line with international standard in O.T.
Skills and Requirements:
- Must have Bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery from a recognized university.
- Experience in Obstetric and surgery (Master in Obstetric & Genecology will be an added advantage).
- At least 2 plus years of experience in similar roles.
- Able to diagnose and treat the majority of the most common diseases.
- Can perform surgical procedures.
- Manage an inpatient facility.
- Organization, initiative, tidiness and courtesy are mandatory.
- Willing and able to work in IMC facilities in Abudwak and Balambal.
- Female candidates preferred.
Language Skills: Fluency in English and Somali.
How to Apply:
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send cover letter and CV to the following email address:
Please indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly.
Deadline for applications: 12th April 2018.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
International Medical Corps is an equal opportunity employer
Medical Doctor with Obstetric Skills
Healthcare Practitioners and Technical
|Company / Organization||
International Medical Corps - Somalia
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||