Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks a candidate for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Kenya Project in the following position:-
Duty Station / Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Under the supervision of the Kenya Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager, the IT Specialist manages the project’s computer network and mobile technology at all locations in Kenya.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical support for major and/or urgent problems with LAN or any of its components (server crash, firewall, virus attack, hard drive failure, etc.).
- Reimage and join laptops to the domain.
- Provide on-call assistance to individuals as needed.
- Provide training to staff upon orientation on various IT policies and procedures of the organization as well as ensuring non IT staff are provided with adequate and appropriate training based on the needs identified.
- Proactively notify Tier2 support (Abt IT) about issues and work with Tier2 to resolve.
- Perform Window Server maintenance and administration, including installing Windows 2008 patches and upgrades (Service Packs).
- Monitor server logs and perform necessary operations to ensure the proper state of the systems.
- Monitor that the Symantec Antivirus software and virus definition updates are being deployed to the server and client PCs. Ensure that any PC deployed to the field has the project standard antivirus protection and is configured to receive virus definition updates via Internet/Symantec LiveUpdate. Run a weekly antivirus status report from the Symantec Antivirus Console.
- Perform File Server backups (weekly full backup, daily incremental on file server, and monthly backups of file server and users data). Using Symantec
- BackupExec 2010, confirm scheduled backup jobs are successful. In conjunction with International IT, perform quarterly data recover validation from backup.
- Monitor site firewall, managing VPN accounts, if any.
- Monitor File Server (Group Policy, NTFS permissions, EFS).
- LAN Administration: create and modify user accounts and privileges/rights (for network and exchange); manage disk space, printer queues, and internet connection; and update antivirus software and definition files.
- Perform desktop and laptop computer support, including performing routine preventive maintenance (disk scan, deleting temp files, defragmentation, etc.); install software patches and upgrades, troubleshoot hardware or software problems; and ensure users are backing up their data files on the server.
- Maintain IT Equipment Inventory (format provided).
- Write and maintain a Disaster Recovery Plan (template provided).
- Provide basic training on MS Office 2010 products.
- Work closely with and supervise the M&E/IT assistants.
- Participate in monthly All IT Manager Meetings with Abt IT Management.
- Initiate monthly conference call and written summary report with Abt IT Management. Review monthly activity, articulate and implement Action Plans relating to identified IT needs.
- Ensure a consistent frequency for backing up project data.
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming, or other IT-related field.
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional experience in IT network administration in a Windows NT environment, including internet access support
- Ability to manage and provide technical oversight to junior programmers and consultants. Work in collaboration with the database manager to ensure project data system is working and backed up.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in collaboration with high level managers and technical advisors.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Fluency in English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to VectorControl_Kenya@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line e.g. “County Coordinator” by COB Friday, May 11th, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.