Duma Works is recruiting a Versatile Trainer and Consultant in planning, monitoring and evaluation for our client, MDF Training & Consultancy Eastern and Southern Africa (MDF-ESA).
MDF-ESA is the regional training & consultancy provider of MDF Training & Consultancy (MDF, www.mdf.nl) covering the Eastern and Southern African Market.
MDF and MDF-ESA work to strengthen the management capacities of people and organisations.
We enable projects & programmes, professionals, organisations, partnerships & networks to achieve sustainable results and results that matter for a better world.
We do this because we are convinced that people who continue to develop themselves are best equipped to make a sustainable difference towards more equitable societies and the creation of social impact.
MDF core competencies are:
- Project & programme management i.e. planning (i.e. stakeholder analysis, context/needs analysis, Theory of Change, results-chain, key performance indicators, risk management), monitoring (systems, approaches, procedures), and evaluation (methodologies, approaches).
- Organisational development i.e. organisational analysis, strategic mapping/planning, team building, human resource management, financial management, gender mainstreaming, resource mobilisation/proposal writing.
- Personal Effectiveness i.e. leadership, people management and communication skills, Training of Trainers, group facilitation techniques.
- Network and partnership management i.e. lobby and advocacy, business development services, network management.
MDF-ESA addresses this by conducting training & consultancy/advisory services to (I)NGO’s, EU, UN agencies/missions, government bodies, higher education institutions, private sector companies, embassies and development entities such as DFID, USAID, DANIDA, SIDA and more. We have a training calendar on which participants from our clients can enrol. We offer tailor-made trainings on the same topics to our clients in the region we cover. We provide advice, coaching, facilitation, external evaluation, and project management services to a variety of clients in the region.
MDF Eastern and Southern Africa established its regional office in Nairobi since April 2016 and is therefore looking to expand and grow its portfolio. Since 2003 MDF-ESA was operating from Arusha, Tanzania. In this regard we are looking for a trainer & consultant who is able to join our team and serve our clients in the Eastern and Southern African region.
The main role of the position will be to acquire and generate work for him/herself and other colleagues and execute, manage and lead training and consultancy assignments within the area of planning, monitoring and evaluation:
Within this role you will have the opportunity to work with a variety of clients and travel in the region thereby being part of a team. You will be part of the international MDF network and therefore work with and learn from colleagues from Africa, Europe, and Asia.
MDF-ESA has a small, young and energetic core team of about 7 staff that allows for freedom, initiative, collaboration and learning. Pro-activeness and quality are promoted. You will have the opportunity to build your own client portfolio based on your and MDF-ESA’s interest and have a say about the strategic direction of the organisation.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Acquisition of work
- Identify, follow-up and respond to training & consultancy opportunities with clients in the Eastern and Southern African region.
- Analyse and understand clients request for service via an existing terms of reference/request for proposal and/or direct contact via phone, intake meetings (visits) and or email.
- Steer the proposal writing process together with the project team.
- Come-up with strategies and write how you would approach the assignment i.e. methodological approach, methods used, workplan, budget, team composition etc.
- Acquire assignments for MDF-ESA within the MDF network.
- Represent MDF during functions and participate in formal and informal gatherings in order to build a network of clients and partners.
Execution of work
- Execute consultancies, open entry and tailor-made training assignments in area of planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Take the lead and steer a team of 2 to 5 colleagues/partners during execution of assignments.
- Maintain client contact during execution and contracting of assignments i.e. process management. Be the focal person for the client.
- Lead the report writing process and assure report quality.
- Maintain client and partner relationships.
Competencies looking for:
- Management expertise within projects, programmes, teams or organisations i.e. steering people, client management, financial management, knowledge management.
- Serve as team leader for multi-country programme external evaluation assignments applying quantitative and qualitative methodologies such as outcome mapping, outcome harvesting, contribution analysis, and quasi experimental studies applying sampling techniques and using among others difference-in-difference methods.
- Expertise in assisting organisations or programmes in the design and management of monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks and plans incl. the development of data collection, analysis, and reporting tools and templates.
- Strong expertise with on-line data collection and analysis using mobile phone technology such as Kobo Collect, Ona and/or others.
- Strong data collection and processing skills i.e. data gathering via interviews, focus-group discussions, check-lists and analysing situations, documents, data sheets.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills via Excel, SPSS, Nvivo, MaxQData and other data analysis software.
- Strong writing skills of proposals and reports i.e. clear, to-the-point, high analytical level, in-depth, proper English, in time, understanding client needs.
- Previous consultancy and advisory expertise, individually or as part of an organization/firm.
- Strong participatory training and presentation skills/expertise. Comfortable to stand in front of and guide a group (4-25 people) with international character.
- Maintaining client relationships and networking.
- Service- and client oriented.
- Pro-active/take initiative, business driven, professional, cosmopolitan attitude.
- Team player, flexible, goes the extra mile, not a 9 to 5 mentality.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) on regional and international level via email, phone and face-to-face i.e. respectful, business oriented, broad vocabulary, understanding culture and customs.
- Work independently, be and take responsibility to the team and clients, practical approach.
- Can deal with productivity and turnover targets.
- International and EAC and/or SADC working expertise.
- Capable to handle administrative, modern communication and knowledge management technologies – Microsoft Word and Excel, Novell Filr, Adobe, PiktoChart, Skype, LinkedIn, online data collection tools and more.
- Fluent in English on an international standard.
- Portuguese or French language is an advantage but not compulsory.
- Interested to learn and improve.
- Interest in management for development.
- 10 -15 years of working experience in an international context.
- Background in service oriented positions i.e. business, advisory, international programme management.
- Regional and international working experience.
- Education level Master degree or equivalent in (international) business management, social studies, international development and or relations, international trade etc.
The vacancy is open for all residents with eligible work permits in Kenya.
However, Kenyans and EAC nationals who reside in Kenya are favoured to apply.
The position is from Monday to Friday (40hrs+ a week) and will start as soon as possible.
To apply online click here or send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “3308”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 3308 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: Monday, 30 April 2018
* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we will not be able to move forward with you application.
Trainer and Consultant in Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
Educational Instruction and Library
|Company / Organization||
MDF Training & Consultancy Eastern and Southern Africa (MDF-ESA)
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||