Media Focus on Africa (MFA)
Job Vacancy: Social Media / Media Liaison / Project Communications Officer
If you love social media and enjoy creating content that both informs and empowers people, you could be the person we are looking for.
MFA is seeking a qualified applicant to support our growing social media efforts and keep our supporters, partners and the general audiences aware of and engaged in our work
About MFA: Media Focus on Africa (MFA) is an international not-for-profit organization registered in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and The Netherlands. It was founded on the premise that increased flows of quality information, reaching out to ordinary people can build societies that are better informed on priority issues of democratization and human development.
MFA promotes the concept of communication for development (C4D) as a means to empower people through carefully targeted and contextualized messages on key themes.
To learn more about MFA, visit our website www.mediafocusonafrica.org
About the post: The person hired will offer support to our offices in Kenya and Uganda.
1) Social media
- Implement and improve MFA’s social media strategy and specific social media strategies for ongoing projects
- Manage our existing social media pages i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Vimeo.
- Evaluate the value of creating more social media pages like Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat.
- Create timely and relevant social media content – including graphics, videos and other multimedia formats that effectively informs and engages our audiences and supports our media and advocacy campaigns.
- Create awareness driven social media campaigns to grow MFAs audiences across its social graph
- Identify social media trends and potential areas of growth in Kenya, Uganda and Africa at large
- Seek, cultivate and build relationships with highly engaged online supporters
- Seek, cultivate and build relationships with influential African social media users: social influencers, celebrities and media personalities to grow MFAs reach and brand awareness
- Monitor and identify trends in social media tools, applications, channels, design and strategy; and look for ways for MFA to adopt them
- Research and recommend effective tools for measuring reach, engagement, impact and other performance measures of social media posts, accounts and campaigns.
- Act on the information by continuously improving MFAs social media posts, campaigns and re-inventing/rebranding accounts where necessary
- Any other duty that may be assigned
- Assist develop website content i.e. interesting stories that show the impact of our work
- Assist in marketing MFA websites
- Analyze traffic coming to MFA websites and use the data to propose ways of improving the same
3) Press engagement
- Create a database of active journalists
- Assist in building a relationship between journalists and MFA
- Assist in producing press releases and press invites
4) Project-based communications
- Assist in developing project communication and visibility strategies
- Assist implement project communication and visibility strategies
- Attend MFA field activities and post timely/relevant updates on social media and thereafter write a story for our website
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have more than 3 years’ experience working in a similar or related position
- Must show a keen interest in writing on issues around governance, democracy and community development
- Strong interest in digital media and emerging trends in technology
- Proven experience in press/media relations. Active contacts within local media is desirable and a distinct advantage.
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Good research skills
- Good written and spoken English language skills
- Be full of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative and a good team player with humor.
How to Apply
Send your application (cover letter, CV with 3 referees and some links to previous work) to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Deadline: Friday, April 20, 2018
NB: This position will be roughly 24 hours per week (3 working days)