Terms of Reference: Negotiation and Mediation Training for Election Violence Interveners in the Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response Program (KEVP)
Consultancy Title: Negotiation / Mediation Training Consultant
Project Location(s): Nairobi (2 trainings), Nakuru (1 training), Kisumu (1 training)
Duration: 15 days
Mercy Corps works almost exclusively in conflict and post-conflict environments. We currently have programs in 42 countries; the vast majority of these are considered at high or moderately high risk for instability. While we recognize the difficulties operating in these environments, we believe that transitional environments offer tremendous opportunities for positive change. Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has implemented more than 100 peacebuilding programs in over 30 countries with specific emphasis on people-to-people approaches.
Mercy Corps has been implementing an 18 month Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response Program, granted by the US Department of State in mitigating the escalation of election related violence in the past 18 months. During its implementation, the project established local peace structures at the sub county and county level that were taken through series of trainings and facilitated to carry out peace work. To cement the gains made during the past 18 months, KEVP intends to hold a tailored training for target members of the local peace structures (IESC) established.
PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
As part of its exit strategy to empower Integrated Electoral Security Committees, Mercy Corps plans to conduct a tailored training on negotiation and mediation. The content of the training will be guided by the attached samples of needs assessment reports of the respective IESCs
It is envisioned that the training will empower the participants with skills to enable them execute their mandate post KEVP in their respective counties.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
Using Mercy Corps approved curriculum, conduct a tailored negotiation and mediation training to select members of the county Integrated Electoral Security Committees (IESC). The curriculum of the training will be informed by guided by attached survey findings.
SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant shall ensure the completion of the following activities in accordance with the terms and conditions of the consultancy contract:
- Develop a tailored mediation and negotiation training manual, that will address the existing capacity gaps in IESC as per attached survey findings
- Conduct four- three day trainings in the 3 counties namely Nakuru, Nairobi and Kisumu counties as stated in the project location
- Train at least 130 IESC members in negotiation and mediation in Nakuru, Nairobi and Kisumu counties.
All the assignment reports must be of high quality. The key deliverables are as follows:
- Four- three day trainings in each of the following counties- Nakuru, Nairobi and Kisumu
- A comprehensive report of the training and list of beneficiaries
This consultancy will take 15 days including travel days
We are looking for organizations/individuals who bring to this role of coach a proven dispute resolution process, data analysis from various dispute resolution efforts, and broad experience from supporting different types of dispute resolution efforts, in addition to:
- High knowledge of election conflicts and violence in Kenya and specifically in the counties of Nakuru, Nairobi and Kisumu counties
- Experienced trainer with extensive skills in participatory training approaches and curriculum development
- Experienced negotiator/mediator with proven record
- Extensive knowledge in conflict, peacebuilding and electoral processes
- Minimum 5 years work experience in related field
- Highly developed analytical and writing skills
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Any person interested in undertaking this assignment should send an Expression of Interest consisting of:
- A short proposal on how the assignment will be undertaken (The proposal must be concise and straight to the point adhering to the timeframe)
- A clear work plan (including a 3 day program for the proposed training)
- Detailed budget
- Curriculum vitae of the key expert(s)/trainer(s)
- Applications by organizations to include a brief history of the organization and relevant experience
All proposals will based on the following criteria:
|Experience of Applicant||Combination of organizational or individual experience, profiles of key individuals on the project, and provided demonstrations of work||35|
|Technical proposal||Quality proposals will provide detail of the approach, training methodology, duration of training activities, examples of negotiation/mediation curriculums||40|
|Value for Money||Cost of work, compared to quality of anticipated products being provided||25|
MERCY CORPS RESPONSIBILITY
- Pay consultancy fees at a mutually agreed rate.
- Mobilize the trainees and support logistics
- Organize for interpretation where need be.
- To cater for accommodation and transport to and from the field.
The consulting team will report to the Chief of Party, Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response program and shall work in close consultation with the Deputy Chief of Party and Area Manager.
Interested candidates should send hard and soft copies of proposal and budget to firstname.lastname@example.org (for soft copies) and at Mercy Corps Offices located at ABC Place, Block B, 1st Floor(for hard copies) .
Applications should reach the above no later than Wednesday 25th April, 2018 at 1700 Hrs.