One Acre Fund
We are an international nonprofit that works in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, and Malawi.
In these countries, our 5,000+ strong staff serves over 500,000 smallholder farmers and enables them to grow their way out of hunger and poverty.
Job Vacancy: Senior Seed Lab Technician
Job Location: Kakamega, Kenya
Reporting To: Seed Lab Manager
Job Description: Most of the world’s poor are farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor in the world. One Acre Fund is a growing NGO in Kenya, Rwanda , Uganda Burundi, Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in education, finance, farm inputs and solar lights, and market access.
Our program is proven impactful – every year , we weigh thousands of harvests and measures 50-100% average gain per acre. We have laser-focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
We are seeking an exceptional individual and professional with a strong background in an agricultural lab setting with experience in running seed germination tests and field trials with a demonstrated long-term passion for sustainable agricultural development in sub-Saharan Africa to take up the position of Senior Lab Technician.
This is a critical role within the company, responsible for ensuring that vulnerable smallholder farmers across all of our operating countries are not hurt by low quality seed and is instrumental in helping One Acre Fund close the yield gap.
Primary Duties of Senior Lab Technician (70%)
- Organizing seed sampling at supplier warehouses across East and Southern Africa to create samples for testing at the laboratory.
- Managing the daily operations of the lab including oversight of completion of tests, maintenance of facilities/ equipment, and recording of results and observations from tests.
- Managing lab staff including day to day work and long term career development.
- Providing regular updates to all country teams on test results and write detailed reports on results and recommendations.
- Managing in field tests at the One Acre Fund research station and any other field tests that are introduced for trials.
- Providing support to country teams in analysis of seed quality by providing comprehensive feedback and reports and on demand support in problem solving.
- Issuing weekly reports on laboratory performance and equipment performance skills.
Other duties (30%)
- Managing special projects related to seed lab equipment and process improvements with the goal of improving One Acre Fund quality control
- Coordinating with the quality control manager to work towards national accreditation of the seed lab
- Any other duties as assigned by the quality control manager
- Diploma or Bachelors in Biology, Agronomy, Life sciences, environmental science or any other comparable degree
- Relevant work experience working in laboratories or running agricultural trials
- Experience in a laboratory or on a research farm running trials
- Strong excel and organizational skills
- Demonstrated Computer skills in email, internet usage, Microsoft Office
- Clear Communicator
- Proactive Problem solver
- Integrity and a Positive Attitude
- Demonstrates High quality work with a strong attention to detail
- A willingness to Commit to living in Western Kenya for a long term position
- Language: Fluent in English
- Willingness to travel on short notice
- Passionate about Serving smallholder farmers
- Proactive, team player, organized with a systematic approach to task
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
Compensation: Competitive Salary
Benefits: Mutual Health Insurance, staff loans, small airtime and transportation allowances
Career development: Twice annual career reviews and constant feedback. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development.
If you feel motivated to work for One Acre Fund as a Senior Seed Lab Technician and you fulfill our requirements for this role, we look forward to receiving your application by 3nd May, 2018.
To apply, please CLICK HERE
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed. At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV together with that attach:
You must have 18 years and above to qualify for any position at One Acre Fund.
One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.