Job Role: Senior Product Design Manager
Purpose & Mission: SunCulture’s mission is to make smallholder farming households more productive. Through passion for agriculture and technology, it has developed a solution that combines affordable solar water pumping and customized irrigation systems, bundled with ongoing support and financing.
SunCulture is taking an active part in improving not only the lives of farmers, but also the environment by reducing CO2 emissions and water usage.
Their efforts have been recognised through a number of awards which include but are not limited to:
- Bloomberg New Energies Pioneer, 2017
- London Stock Exchange’s Companies to Inspire Africa, 2017
- 99 Technologies Changing the Future of Agriculture in Africa, 2017
SunCulture has reached an exciting phase in its development and is poised for significant growth.
The Organisation needs a Senior Product Design Manager to take the lead with respect to existing product improvements and new product integration.
The role is key to the growth of the organisation due to its influence on customer satisfaction and hence SunCulture’s net promoter score.
Existing Product Improvements
- Manage lab and field tests of SunCulture products to generate quantitative performance data (e.g., pump efficiency, yield impact drip vs sprinkler vs mist, etc.). The data will be used to determine improvements to existing products
- Resolve product bugs and constraints identified through analyzing after-sales reports and evaluating product designs
- Engage customers and staff to not only measure satisfaction with existing products (NPS) but also solicit ideas for improvements
- Work closely with the CTO to identify design enhancements to continuously improve the user experience of all existing products
- Define and implement standard testing procedures for design changes and bug fixes
- Manage the integration of approved design changes and bug fixes into the supply chain
New Product Integration
- Perform lab tests to generate quantitative performance data and interview customers to obtain qualitative data. The data will be used to design new products
- Manage field trials of all new products in all core regions where SunCulture is present to gauge usability as well as farmer willingness to adopt/pay
- Manage iterative product improvements to reduce cost and increase system performance/usability
- Analyse competitors’ products to identify product design and engineering opportunities that will enable performance improvements
- Build, inform and act as an ambassador for a culture of human-centered product design
- Scale up, mentor and coach a highly efficient and hands on product design team
- Train the team on all the new products; also ensure they have knowledge of all the existing and improved products
- Manage the performance of the team in line with agreed KPIs
- Collaborate with individuals from different departments to meet the requirements and timelines in line with existing product enhancements as well as new product integration
Does this sound like you?
- 3 – 5 years experience in Human-centered design (HCD), a design and management framework that develops solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
- Background in Engineering, Business Modelling or Marketing
- A leader capable of defining and communicating design strategy and vision for the company
- Not afraid to dive-in, take risk and crack heads until something is accomplished when it comes to product design whenever necessary
- Delivery focused, organised and comfortable with ambiguity
- Self aware with humility and strive to improve as a leader
Please follow this link to apply: https://goo.gl/rd8xyY