Amref Health Africa | USAID
APHIAplus Imarisha Project
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org
We are seeking organized, highly motivated and results oriented individuals to fill the following positions in the APHIApIus IMARISHA project funded by USAID for the period March 2012 to June 30, 2019 and covering the counties of Garissa, Isiolo, Mandera, Marsabit, Tana River and Wajir in the northern arid lands.
The project works closely with the County Governments, private and faith-based health facilities to support the delivery of quality HIV/TB services, including support to orphans and vulnerable children.
Job Opening: Technical Officer – Laboratory Services
Duty Station: Wajir Town
JOB TITLE: Technical Officer – Laboratory Services
REPORTING TO: County Coordinator, Wajir
DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM/PROJECT: APHIAplus IMARISHA
PHYSICAL LOCATION: Wajir town (Wajir County)
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB: To coordinate APHIAplus IMARISHA’s support to commodity and laboratory services in Central Support Counties in the Northern Arid Lands. These are Garissa, Isiolo, Mandera, Marsabit, Samburu, Tana River and Wajir Counties.
The incumbent will be expected to offer support to counties by coordinating support through the respective CMLTs and County Coordinators/ C&T Officers.
- Working with the respective County Coordinators/ C&T Officers and CMLTs, supports the functionality of County Commodity Security Committees
- Conducts laboratory assessments in regard to capacity, quality control, quality assurance and laboratory needs and ensures follow-up on needed corrective and preventive actions
- Carry out laboratory capacity building, assist in managing laboratory logistics e.g. sample networking and providing technical assistance.
- Support health care facilities to forecast their reagent needs, offer support towards strengthening of Laboratory infrastructure, equipment, logistics and procurement systems for sustainable and quality services.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance in the expansion of access to quality laboratory services by strengthening tiered laboratory networks and specimen referral for CD4, HIV early infant diagnosis (EID), HIV viral load, opportunistic disease detection, TB culture, molecular diagnostic/gene Xpert and HIV/TB drug resistance.
- Support implementation of a quality improvement, data demand and information use framework aimed at improving County level capacity in reporting and utilization of data for enhanced service coverage.
- Support strengthening of biosafety, infection control, occupational health and safety and medical waste management and will support strengthening of Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS) ensuring QA/QC/EQC systems are functional.
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences or Higher Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- MUST be registered by KMLTTB
- Holder of a valid practice license.
- At least 5 years post-qualification experience
Experience in ISO15189 standards and training and knowledge in accreditation processes for laboratories is desirable.
- Medical laboratory technical skills including QA/QC,
- ICT proficiency
- Excellent communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Mature with initiative
- Ability to work in multi-cultural teams
- Reliability; and
- Ability to work within deadlines.
- Attention to detail
Work Environment: Normal office environment at the work station. Will be expected to travel extensively (>50% of the time) and may be required to stay longer at the project sites
Hours of Work: Job holder may be required to work outside normal working hours due to the nature of the work in general
The jobs offer competitive salary and excellent work environment.
How to Apply
Interested individuals with proven and visionary leadership and technical expertise in the health field and fulfilling the required criteria should email their motivation letter and CV clearly indicating the reference number for job applied for (in the subject line) to email@example.com by Friday 4th May 2018.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.