Job Title: Finance and Budget Analyst
Reports to: Regional Program Director – SAPFF
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: TechnoServe collaborates with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS), a non-profit organization that aggregates and links the corporate volunteer expertise of leading food companies—General Mills, Cargill, Bühler, DSM, Hershey and Ardent Mills—with promising food industry entrepreneurs in Africa.
Under the anticipated USAID-funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Project, TechnoServe will work alongside PFS to engage local food companies, identify their growth challenges, and link them with volunteer experts from PFS corporate partners.
The project will build the efficiency and inclusiveness of food processing sectors – improving production and profitability, increasing linkages with smallholder farmers, and growing distribution channels to better reach Base of the Pyramid (BoP) markets. Implementation is anticipated for up to five years delivering services across Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya and Zambia.
Position Description: The Finance & Budgeting Analyst will support the Chief of Party in all aspects of financial management and budgeting of the project, including: oversight of project accounting, internal auditing, and internal controls; support to the Regional Finance Advisor with timely financial reporting; support project budgeting at regional and country levels, regularly tracking burn rates against budget; support to country project teams to develop and understand activity-based budgets and to monitor expenditure against budget and work plans; and provision of staff training and capacity building to implement financial management policies and procedures.
Budget Preparation and Monitoring
- Support detailed country activity-based budget development closely linked to work plans.
- Build capacity of country teams to understand and manage the budget.
- Prepare a monthly report to track expenditure against budget for each project country. Lead country calls to review budget variances and plan for the future.
- Participate in quarterly burn rate calls with VP East Africa.
- Lead mid-year reviews of the project budget.
- Support annual budgeting, forecasting and year planning, and ensure that they are consistent with TechnoServe’s guidelines and procedures
Financial Management and Analysis
- Provide financial and accounting oversight to the project regional and country operations.
- Establish and ensure compliance with budget codes. Ensure that all financial data recorded in the financial management system across the project countries has the mandatory dimensions.
- Review monthly accounting transactions using online NAV accounting tools and follow up with Country Project accountants to fix errors noted before they are posted.
- Ensure all accounting data in the system are updated, reconciled and fully supported in accordance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Liaise with country Finance Controllers to ensure timely completion of month-end procedures and that the results are posted on time.
- Liaise with the Regional Finance Analyst to ensure timely and accurate preparation of quarterly financial reporting to the donor (SF425) and accruals.
- Monitor project partner expenditures against budget. Review disbursement to partner including review of partners’ financial reports and documentation before posting in NAV system.
- Maintain accounting records.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality in relation to sensitive and confidential commercial and business financial decisions and issues.
- Provide pro-active advice to ensure optimal financial systems, reporting and maintenance of TechnoServe’s accounting policies, financial procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure that all processes and procurements adhere to corporate policy, legal and contractual obligations, and corporate and donor standards.
Staff Capacity Building
- Regularly travel to project countries to provide support to the teams in budget management and adherence to financial procedures.
- Provide orientation to new staff on financial systems as required.
- Provide training and capacity building in team meetings.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, public administration, or a related field.
- At least 5-7 years accounting and finance experience with projects funded by donors, including USAID. At least 2 of these years must be in a leadership role.
- Knowledge of GAAP and FAR/USAIDAR strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and relevant computer software skills, including computerized accounting systems. Experience with NAV an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and diplomatically in a multi-cultural environment.
- Previous work experience in at least one of the project countries required; experience in additional countries an advantage.
- Willingness to travel extensively among project countries.
- Excellent English skills.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 23rd April 2018.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females and Individuals with Disabilities.
Finance and Budget Analyst
Business and Financial Operations
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||