Conservation International | Vital Signs
Job Re-Advertisement: Remote Sensing Analyst
Summary: Vital Signs is an integrated Monitoring System that intends to guide policy and decision making and monitor their outcomes to ensure that agricultural development does not unduly degrade natural ecosystems and the services they provide.
The monitoring system is currently being implemented in, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya.
Vital Signs has partnered with the GEF and IFAD to develop a monitoring and assessment platform for the GEF Food Security Integrated Approach Pilot Program.
The program has three components:
(i) strengthening of institutional frameworks to promote integrated approaches in smallholder agriculture
(ii) promote scaling-up of interventions for sustainability and resilience: and
(iii) ensure effective monitoring of ecosystem services and global environmental benefits through application of innovative tools and practices.
The program will be implemented in twelve African countries (Burkina Faso, Burundi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Swaziland, Tanzania and Uganda).
Vital Signs is seeking the services of a Remote Sensing Analyst to support the Monitoring and Assessment component of the program.
The Remote Sensing Analyst will compile, analyze, interpret, manage, and distribute remote sensing imagery (MODIS, Landsat, DigitalGlobe).
S/he will play a lead role in ensuring that baseline land cover maps are compiled and that land cover trends are analyzed at project and regional scales.
S/he will have the following main responsibilities:
- Develop baseline land cover maps for all projects that have geo-referenced spatial boundaries at 30m and at very high resolution, where data are available.
- Develop a regional-scale land cover map (30m)
- Perform modelling and classification analyses using time-series datasets (e.g., climate, satellite, and reanalysis data) for ecosystem modelling and climate variability research, including generating customized code, based on R and Python, for large volume data processing and analysis
- Capacity building for expanding the use of the data, methods and tools to other countries and regions
- Contribute written input and technical guidance to the IAP project
- Manage the highly visible, complex technical IAP project including meeting donor deadlines
- Manage external partner relationships including development of capacity and generation of outputs to guide partners in making decisions.
- Contribute to reporting structures as laid out in the IAP documentation and the preparation of the Annual Work Plan and Budget.
- Undertake any other duties, within her/his area of competence, as assigned by CI as it relates to this project
- Advanced degree in remote sensing, geography or earth science.
- 7 or more years of experience in scientific research and/or managing remote sensing or research projects or initiatives.
- Demonstrated scientific writing experience, including peer-reviewed publications
- Proven ability in successfully interpreting and applying scientific information, data, models and developing creative solutions to achieve practical results.
- Proven track record in project management design and implementation.
- Proven team player able to work effectively across cultures and within and across organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to build on existing knowledge to develop new approaches.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Proficient in statistical and/or GIS software systems and procedures, and skilled in using new software applications
- Proven technical expertise in habitat monitoring, land degradation methodologies and analyses, and ecosystem modeling using a range of remote sensing techniques, image sources, and GIS
- Typical office environment but may require working in remote Africa locations.
- Ability to work extended and irregular hours
- Frequent travel over 30% may be necessary.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in Kenya without employer sponsorship
To apply go to the Careers tab on our website www.conservation.org.
The deadline for application for all positions is April 27, 2018.
Vital Signs Remote Sensing Analyst
Architecture and Engineering
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||