CAP Youth Empowerment Institute Kenya
Job Title: Accountant
CAP Youth Empowerment Institute Kenya was established to provide Basic Employability Skills Training (BEST) for disadvantaged youth in the society with particular focus on women to get equitable, qualitative learning and access to promising labour market oriented opportunities, savings and credit that support their pathways to safe and positive futures.
The key purpose of this project is to assist 2,430 disadvantaged youth to make informed choices, develop labour-market oriented employability skills and access job placements, savings and enterprise development support.
- Daily book keeping of finance & accounting data ,processing of all transactions using documents of original entry and reconciliation of cash and bank balances using quick books
- Monthly reporting to the finance and administration manager providing fully reconciled reports detailing center advances, expenditure and cash/bank reconciliations, budget follow ups tracking and accountability to strict deadlines.
- Assist in preparation and follow up of program budget for centers and trips substance advances
- Ensure that all expenses are properly authorized and documented before payment for such expenses by preparing correct budget codes and seeking prior approval
- Ensure that all payments are prepared on time and in accordance with all financial guidelines and approval procedure
- Maintain filing systems for all financial and accounting records in accordance with guidelines and verify the completeness of the documentation on the files by maintaining both hard and soft copies to support all financial transactions and for the donor reporting
- Ensure that all bookings in cash books and ledgers are done on daily basis for both and in strict compliance with guidelines to include advances and pre-payments and reconciled including reconciliation of select ledgers and balance sheet items.
- Maintenance and updating of a fully written fixed assets register
- Write journal entries for reclassification of expenses as required and enter into quick books
- Assist in preparation of end year audit schedules and provide all documents required by the auditor during audit as well as answering some audit queries as needed
- Maintain a schedule for payment of utilities and lease agreements for the organization to ensure timely payments
- Report any irregularities found during scrutiny of accountability documents
- Continuously remind and train center staff on optimum accountability requirements
- File monthly VAT returns
- Monthly PAYE and withholding tax payments
- Any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in finance/accounting
- CPA finalist.
- Membership to a professional body
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Conversant with quick books and Microsoft office excel
- Ability to write narrative and analytical spread sheet reports;
- Proven computer literacy in MS-Word, MS-Excel MS-Access or related programs required;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and perform multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Spoken and written fluency in English desired
- Customer service skills
- Ability to interact positively with management, and other employees, to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- At least 3-4 years of relevant and progressive work experience gained working in large training/Nonprofit organizations
- Experience with USAID projects will be a plus
- Integrity and professionalism
- Time management skills
- Problem solving and negotiation skills
- Decision making and leadership skills
How to Apply
To express interest in this opportunity, send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th May 2018
Indicate expected salary
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.