Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million
Overview: ACDI/VOCA is currently implementing a five-year program entitled “Feed the Future Livestock Market Systems (LMS)” development projects in Northern Kenya funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The aim of the USAID Kenya Feed the Future LMS program is to strengthen people’s resilience to shocks and stresses and reduce the prevalence and depth of poverty, household hunger, and chronic undernutrition.
The program aims to do so by taking collective action on economic opportunities, and by strengthening institutions, market systems, governance, and human capital.
Pursuant to its mission, ACDI/VOCA is seeking for experienced and talented professionals for the Business Development Specialist position to be based in Marsabit, Kenya.
The position is responsible for providing technical assistance and coaching to selected applicants under the business development grants program, which mainly consists of micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSME’s). Technical assistance to be provided will be in the preparation of business plans, marketing and business development strategies.
- Identify and screen commercially viable MSMEs within LMS livestock areas of intervention (e.g. cattle, camel, poultry, etc.), which will improve market access, productivity and overall competitiveness of livestock sector value chains in Marsabit County.
- Assist and build the capacity of selected businesses to develop and prepare their business plans, and make necessary recommendations. This will include providing technical support in the following areas.
Conducting feasibility assessments of investments to include: SWOT analysis; risk and competition analysis; discussing with the applicants on possible modalities of governing and managing the business/investments to optimize their efficiency, effectiveness, capacity and commercial potential as well as opportunities for creating employment opportunities in the Counties.
- Identify potential markets and requirements for entrance to the market e.g. through market assessments, research and developing marketing strategies that will provide enterprise growth and profitability.
- Develop enterprise operational strategies to include: Identification of infrastructure and other resources needed for the enterprise/investment to achieve profitability- to include actual costing, cashflows, realistic assumptions and benchmarks, requisite standards, and risk mitigation plans; highlighting concrete steps to be taken by the selected businesses to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Provide insights to the project about businesses to be supported to ensure risks are mitigated before funding commitments are made.
- Provide training, coaching and mentoring support to the grantees after the award to ensure sustainable and profitable operations.
- Facilitate grantees networking, business to business linkages and enhancements to input supply chains.
- Support grantees to obtain required licenses and certifications.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation of the selected business activities and report on the same.
- Work with LMS partners to put in place and monitor financial management systems that will lead to business sustainability.
- Assess financial needs of businesses and link them to lenders to access working capital
- Perform any other duties as required by the Supervisor (County Program Manager).
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Entrepreneurship and/or Business Management. A Master’s Degree in a related field is highly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in developing business plans, conducting economic and/or financial analysis or other relevant areas is a must.
- Experience in livestock value chain and MSME development or closely related field will be an added advantage.
- Strong writing, analytical, presentation and reporting skills.
- Ability to travel and work in Marsabit.
- The position requires extensive field travel within and beyond designated counties.
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than June 08, 2018.
Please include the position title and location in the subject line.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.