Amref Health Africa
Job Vacancy: Knowledge Management and Community Lead
Job Ref: Amref/Advocacy Accelerator/2018/05-01
Department / Program / Project: Advocacy Accelerator
Physical Location: Nairobi
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems.
With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Southern Africa and West Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit www.amref.org.
The Advocacy Accelerator is an initiative that seeks to build an interactive community of advocates in Africa that fosters engagement, learning and sharing of resources and experiences through in-person and online platforms.
The objective of the Advocacy Accelerator is to strengthen advocacy capacity, alignment, and impact in Africa by providing in-person and online platforms for advocates and their supporters to share experiences, evidence, and approaches. To achieve this ambitious agenda, the Advocacy Accelerator seeks to recruit the right personnel with the desired skills sets, knowledge and expertise.
For more information on the Advocacy Accelerator, please visit www.advocacyaccelerator.org
Main Purpose of the Job: The Knowledge Management & Community Lead will focus on continuously assessing, understanding and improving organisation-wide knowledge sharing, to ensure that the knowledge, information and experience amassed by the Advocacy Accelerator and its community is effectively shared both inside and outside the organisation with community members, partners, donor partners and other stakeholders.
The role is expected to lead processes to increase the quality of information and knowledge shared by the Advocacy Accelerator, as well as, grow the community of members’ engagement with the Advocacy Accelerator on both virtual and in-person platforms.
The Knowledge Management & Community Lead will be expected to lead processes and guide strategic development of strengthened knowledge practice at the Advocacy Accelerator. A successful candidate will possess a clear understanding of knowledge management and community engagement practices, as well as the ability to grow into a role that fills a critical function within the Advocacy Accelerator.
The role will involve working closely with the Advocacy Accelerator’s Content & Training and Communications Teams to produce high quality Accelerator materials to be shared both in person and virtually.
Main Responsibilities (Focus and Scope of Work)
Knowledge Practice Development
- Promote knowledge sharing through the organisation’s operational processes and systems by, among others, strengthening links between knowledge sharing and Advocacy Accelerator platforms;
- Improve integration among information systems (social media platforms, website, trainings, etc.) in the organisation, to facilitate seamless exchange of
information across systems;
- Promote collaborative and community building tools (Knowledge Management tools) to facilitate sharing of ideas and work among internal teams and other
- Provide support for the establishment and nurturing of communities of practice, including facilitating workshops, one-on-one guidance, and
- Share experiences across communities of practice, internal teams, and networks on innovative approaches in knowledge sharing;
- Help monitor and evaluate the knowledge practice, including impact measurement and benchmarking
- Help disseminate information about the organisation’s knowledge practice to internal and external audiences, including organising knowledge practice presentations and events, maintaining communications on knowledge sharing across the organisation, participation in orientation and training sessions, and preparation of other externally-facing materials;
- Provide guidance and professional development opportunities for Advocacy Accelerator staff seeking to improve knowledge management capacity.
Community and Collaboration (Internal and External)
- Work with Communications team to assess, track and grow community of members at virtual platforms;
- Contribute to weekly and monthly reporting on community growth, including integrating Knowledge Management (KM) metrics and reporting into existing
Advocacy Accelerator reports;
- Liaise with website developers to ensure KM best practices are integrated into website design and development;
- Coordinate with website developers to ensure ongoing social media management and community building includes KM best practices and integrates into
knowledge practice and overall strategy;
- Take ownership of and iterate KM tools (member segmentation, roadmap, and use story and community scorecard) to manage and grow community at
Communication, Information & Resources
- Work with programme managers and the Communications Team to research, draft, design and deliver information products and resources for advocates, including manuals, handbooks, and enewsletters;
- Support and provide guidance for strategy-related activities;
- Expand and enhance the range of the Advocacy Accelerator’s online information products and resources for advocates.
Additional Programme or Project Responsibilities as may be Assigned
- Additional programme or project responsibilities as may be assigned.
Education and knowledge
- Minimum of an advanced degree in social sciences/communications/organisational management and/or knowledge strategy.
- Qualifications in community and social media management, blended learning and related fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in content development for training purposes.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience working in the field of human rights, education, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience teaching and training.
- 10 years of advocacy experience.
- 10 years of African regional experience.
- Experience in advocacy capacity building is a significant advantage.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of advocacy training, education and capacity building programmes in diverse cultural contexts.
- Experience of complex, large-scale training environments using modern blended training methodologies and techniques.
- Experience developing training content/courseware and eLearning.
- Experience in developing and disseminating advocacy information products and resources, both offline and online.
- Experience coordinating the production of reports, briefing papers, manuals and enewsletters, including the drafting and editing of contents.
- Experience working with developers, designers or other external consultants to build and manage online coordination and learning platforms would be an advantage.
- Experience using online programme management tools would be an advantage.
- Experience in constructing evaluations and post-implementation reviews.
- Capacity to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to get consensus and collaboration in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to explain complex concepts in understandable language.
- Ability to generate enthusiasm.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management and staff, establishing straightforward, productive relationships; treating all individuals with fairness and respect.
- Ability to work rapidly, both in person and remotely, with team members.
- Strong writing, editing and proof reading skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Excellent PowerPoint and Excel skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to:
- Work effectively at multiple levels in an organisation.
- Work both independently and as part of a team.
- Focus on predefined goals and deliver results.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Polished presenter with ability to handle interactive sessions.
- Excellent planning and organising skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build close working relationships with stakeholders and influence decision making in relation to training courses to ensure excellent outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple demands and to prioritise work and be proactive and self-directed.
- Ability to understand and communicate concepts quickly and accurately.
Corporate Policies, Systems, Procedures and Methods
- Knowledge of organisation policy.
- An office space in Nairobi within Amref Health Africa University.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter before May 15th, 2018 to email@example.com with the subject line: REF: Amref/Advocacy Accelerator/2018/05-01.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.