Vacant Position: Knowledge Management Research Officer
Company: BrookeEast Africa
Presence: Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East
Sector: Animal Welfare
Organizational Background: Brooke is an international animal welfare charity dedicated to improving the lives of working horses, donkeys and mules, operating in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, reaching over two million working horses.
Brook employs over 900 staff worldwide including; vets, animal welfare experts and development specialists.
Brooke works in various ways;
- With animals – Brooke relieves their suffering through treatment and education, and undertake research to improve their welfare.
- With owners – By working with owners Brooke addresses the most common and severe problems to ensure a healthier future.
- With Health Services – Working with local vets and other providers to improve the availability and quality of service of working animals.
- With Governments – Brookes advocates for local, national and international institutions to include the welfare of working equine animals in policy and implementation.
- Respectful Being respectful of animals, people, cultures and the environment
- Effective Being an organization of dedicated people, determined to improve the welfare of working donkeys, horses and mules
- Accountable Striving to be accountable and transparent in our work
- Collaborative Working in an inclusive and collaborative way to give the best
- Committed Being committed to making the most effective use of resources to bring about lasting changes for working equine animals
- Innovative Being an innovative, evidence based, learning organization
Brooke is looking to recruit a Knowledge Management & Research Officer who will be responsible for: conducting and coordinating data collection and analysis; undertaking research and using the information gathered to champion organizations knowledge sharing.
This is in a bid to ensure that the organization’s know-how, information and experience is shared with both internal and external stakeholders and that the information gathered is used to impact positively on the welfare of working equines and livelihoods of equine-owning communities.
The Knowledge Management & Research Officer will report to the Program Manager.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensuring high-quality, timely preparation & dissemination of reports capturing progress, results and impact achieved and resources used in line with Brooke’s MEAL framework
- Collating lessons learned, best practices and proven innovations in programme design, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and disseminating learnings to various stakeholders.
- Working closely with the program team while taking lead in the collecting of reporting data and documentation of case studies and success stories.
- Overseeing the design and day to day effective operation of the monitoring & evaluation system for purposes of achievement monitoring, learning, and programme performance for accountability.
- Serving as the in-house expert on program evaluation while working closely with the program leadership to institute monitoring and evaluation metrics at the design, implementation and post-execution.
- Receiving and providing input /support to other officers whose jobs are interdependent on the role.
- Supplying reports, data and other required information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Organizing for and proactively engaging BEA staff in ‘Share & Learn’ sessions whenever necessary.
- Actively participating in team and/or staff meetings; adding value to the meeting agenda and discussions for the purpose of enhancing program effectiveness.
- Actively representing BEA in research & knowledge management forums.
- Actively participating in social media discussions touching on research & Knowledge management
- Building good rapport and collaborating with governments, university students & research institutions in conducting researches that evidence and support Brooke’s work.
- Strengthening institutional relationships, promoting dialogues with partners and other stakeholders through participation in joint evaluations, sharing of monitoring & evaluation results, learning and dissemination.
- Assessing knowledge management needs and developing strategies to meet those needs by identifying and obtaining the required resources.
- Facilitating training of BEA staff and partners in use of Knowledge Management tools.
- Promoting adoption and use of knowledge management in the development of activities geared towards promoting equine friendly practices.
- Coordinating with BEA partners in strengthening their capacity to make better use of information
- Taking lead in the implementation of the organization’s Knowledge management & research strategy within Brooke and through Partners.
- Analyzing Knowledge Management activities and measuring impact on Brookes work.
- Supporting BEA & partners in organizing, packaging, utilizing and disseminating relevant information to inform programmes design and implementation
- Monitoring and reviewing relevant sources of information and data from BUK, other country programmes, collaborating partners and institutions, required for the regular updating of BEA information and knowledge, e.g., MEAL reports, publications, etc.
- Remaining abreast of best practices in the field of research & knowledge management by consulting appropriate websites, and ensure that these are shared with both BEA & partner staff
Technology Outcomes and System Optimization
- Working closely with relevant staff and partners in ensuring that data collection tools are developed and uploaded into Brooke MEAL systems in readiness for data entry & analysis.
- Serving as a key contact for data requests by responding to queries and assisting BEA staff & partners in accessing tools and resources, ensuring data integrity
- Creating avenues for exchange of information, converting data into valuable information and ensuring its accessibility and usage by providing recommendations for decision making, programme improvements and organizational policy and knowledge/skills development.
- Identify gaps and organize capacity building on MEAL and data/systems for BEA staff and partners to improve data management.
- Identifying and supporting programme-need based researches that enhance best practice, identify challenges and address identified gaps in equine welfare and owners’ livelihoods in line with Brooke’s research policy and guidelines.
- Conducting continuous improvement of research quality by assessing processes and practices and executing capacity building plans to address identifying gaps for BEA and partners
- Ensuring that research publications and other related outputs are well captured to provide the information required for BEAs’ learning and future planning.
- Continuously identifying & exploring opportunities for conducting collaborative researches to generate evidence
- Acting as the custodian of the Brooke Research policy and actively participating and contributing to its periodic review
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics /Economics or a related field from a reputable University.
- At least 5 years of progressively advanced experience in research, data collection/analysis, knowledge management and related fields of; knowledge sharing, organizational learning, etc.)
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Experience in an NGO set up.
- Skilled in computer programs, especially Data analysis and Microsoft Office applications;
- Sharp analytical, organizational and documentation skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to work well both independently and within teams;
- Flexible, willing to grow professionally, learn new skills;
- Can meet tight deadlines without compromising quality.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the role holder will be required to;
- Take responsibility for own actions, behaviors and outcomes
- Take responsibility for their own learning and fostering growth and development in others
- Create and maintain harmonious and constructive working relationships with others internally and/or externally
- Ensure that time and resources are utilized to best effect for the achievement of the Brooke’s goals and our mission and that others are committed to agreed courses of action
- Make clear, informed and timely decisions that lead to effective outcomes in line with the Brooke’s mission.
- Seek out and develop new ideas and approaches, respond positively and constructively to change and fostering a culture of continuous improvement
- Work respectfully, effectively and collaboratively with others in the team, across the organization and externally to deliver effective outcomes
- Communicate clearly, concisely and compellingly in a manner that is appropriate to the audience.
- Engage respectfully with others both internally and/or externally to persuade them to adopt courses of action that are in the best interests of the organization and the animals.
For consideration, please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should be received before or on June, 1st 2018
Brooke is an equal opportunity employer
For further details regarding the organization, please visit: www.thebrooke.org