CVT Vacancy Announcement: HR / Admin Officer
Organization & Program Overview: The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit organization dedicated to healing survivors of torture.
We provide direct care for those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East. In Kenya we have offices and clinics in Nairobi, Dadaab and Kakuma.
General Position Summary: The Human Resource & Administration officer will be responsible for managing the day to day administration of the CVT office. S/he will manage personnel in line with CVT’s policies and procedures and Kenyan labour law. The role holder will coordinate HR practices and objectives that will provide an engaging work environment, high performance culture that emphasizing valuing people, growth and is result driven to deliver on impact.
The HR & Administration Officer will report the Operations Coordinator and will work closely with the finance officer, logistic officer and other program staff.
The HR/ADMIN officer will be responsible for the following essential functions:
Recruitment and onboarding: The incumbent will assist to
- Identify the right candidates for the right jobs through assessment, interviews and employment profiling process.
- Maintain fair and equitable recruitment approaches in line with the specific job requirements.
- Conduct relevant employment checks on all employees and prepare job offers to the successful candidates.
- Organized and manage new employee orientation, on –boarding and training programs.
- Maintain updated personnel file.
Human Resource information System (HRIS): The incumbent will be the substantive officer in charge of HRIS management. S/he will take lead in the:
- Integration of the HRIS- migrate all staff documents into HRIMS and manage the system
- Timely ensure that the HIRS is updated with employee’s personal data.
- Update employee’s record files with all correspondence related to each employee.
- Ensure that terminations are captured correctly and timely on HRIS.
- Work closely with management to communicate human resource policies, procedures, programs and laws and ensure that all staff are appraised of the expectations of their employment contracts.
- Assist the Operations Coordinator in updating CVT national staff policy.
- Support the management in handling of employee disputes and in so doing prepare communication for disciplinary cases and participate in determining corrective action.
- Support CVT to conduct staff exit interview.
- Compliance: lead the organization in ensuring compliance with all existing labour laws.
- Make sure each staff member understands the CVT Kenya Policy Manual and is aware of his/her rights and obligations related to the contract. Conduct information sessions of the policy before staff members sign contracts.
- Staff welfare: manage staff relations & involvement to foster inclusivity.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality in all aspect of staff issues.
- Manage staff benefit scheme- pension, medical & GPA.
- Lead in medical insurance renewals and management.
Learning and Development:
- Support training & Development activities including training needs analyses and the delivery of training and measuring the impact results.
- Management of knowledge works for all CVT staff.
- Coordinate the performance management reviews and identify staff training need.
Routine Administrative Functions:
- Supervision and management of office supplies for both the office and the clinics.
- Prepare monthly projections for office supplies based on the monthly need.
- Make all travel arrangements on ECHO and UNHAS light to and from Dadaab & Kakuma
- Updating of ECHO flight staff list and managing renewals.
- Making hotel and flight arrangements for all CVT visitors.
- Ensure the work environment for both the office and clinics are condusive.
- Supervision of Admin Assistant and cleaners.
Management of Communication system in the Nairobi project
Under the supervision of the Operations Coordinator, the Human Resources Officer will be accountable for:
- Management the distribution of office communication to staff and other CVT locations as appropriate.
- Propose and implement efficient communication system among CVT staff in Nairobi and in other projects if necessary
- Keep an inventory of all incoming and outgoing communications.
- Support the field offices (Dadaab & Kakuma).
Required Qualifications and Experience.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or any other related field
- Post graduate diploma in human resource management.
- A minimum of 2 – 3 years’ relevant experience in human resources in a Manufacturing environment.
- Solid foundation knowledge and experience of all aspects of HR/Admin in an international organization.
- Member of the Institute of Human Resources Management – Kenya (IHRM)
- Excellent IT skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
- Understanding and practical knowledge of employment laws and employer best practices.
- Planning and Organizing. Establishing courses of action for self and/or others to ensure that work is completed efficiently in light of the strategies and destination of the department and/or organization.
- Driving to Results: Ability to focus on the desired result of one’s own or one’s unit’s work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
- Bias for Action: Ability to think quickly on your feet and come up with solutions to critical situations. Self- starters and action oriented with a “Just Do It” attitude
- Building Work Relationships: Ability to work effectively with others, outside the line of formal authority. Ability to accomplish organization goals and to identify and resolve problems
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with others in order to encourage and support communication and teamwork. Ability to build and maintain ongoing, collaborative, working relationships with coworkers to achieve the goals of the work unit.
- Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Kenya Legal Framework– Conversant with all Kenya Labour Laws and statutory requirements.
- Training and Development – Identifying and analyzing organization staff training / development needs. Planning activities and programs that increase skill levels in desired areas
- Employee Relations – Handling staff issues and grievances through effective utilization of principles, policies, and procedures.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to email@example.com.
The subject line of your application should be ‘HR/ADMIN OFFICER- NAIROBI’
Closing Date: 12th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.