Vacancy Announcement: Dairy Manager – Isinya
We are recruiting for one of our clients, a farm in Isinya, the above named position.
Purpose Statement of the Position: The jobholder will manage the profitability of the Dairy business & bring year on year incremental revenue from milk collection.
Ensure effective & efficient dairy management controls are developed & adhered to & responsible for the budget, revenue, customer service, staff morale & overall productivity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in milking, breeding, and caring for cows, goats and sheep and performs lay-veterinary duties on dairy farm: Assigns workers to tasks, such as feeding and milking cows, cleaning cattle, barns, and equipment, and assisting with breeding and health care.
- Inspects cowsheds and milking store for cleanliness and maintenance and informs workers of actions required to ensure compliance with established standards.
- Studies feed production records to determine feed formula required to produce maximum milk yield and notifies workers of diet changes.
- Studies genetic and health records to develop schedules for activities, such as breeding, dehorning, and sale of calves.
- Oversee the cattle breeding program, cattle handling, calving, branding, pasture rotation, and weaning.
- Schedules breeding, vaccinating, and dehorning of cows and calves.
- Observes cows during artificially inseminates to produce desired offspring.
- Examines cows, goats and sheep for evidence of illness, injuries, and calving, treats illnesses and injuries, delivers calves, and engages veterinarian to care for serious injuries and illnesses.
- Planning and allocating of staff duties i.e. allocate task and set production target to ensure timely and accurate completion of timely targets.
- Meet quality targets through adherence of established operational methods & work place standards
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of animal food to avoid wastage
- Ensure health & safety regulations are adhered to.
- Maintain production equipment & ensure they are in good working condition
- Organize daily meetings lead the team to accomplish daily plans
- A Bachelor’s degree in Animal Health, Animal Production, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or its equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a Diary farm from a reputable animal farm is highly desirable.
- Proven track record of managing and improving the productivity of the livestock.
- Must be a qualified & certified Animal Veterinarian.
- Should be well versed & conversant with feedlot preparation for beef cattle, zero grazing & free paddocking/open grazing.
- Should be well versed & conversant with rearing of cattle, goat & sheep.
- Should have rich & precise knowledge on dairy & beef feed, supplements, vaccination, disease & pest control in dairy farming.
- Knowledge in Artificial Insemination & pasture development will be added advantage.
- Should be ready to work and reside on the farm, at Isinya.
Competencies & Skills
- Practical knowledge of basic farm accounting, budgeting & procurement procedures.
- Practical knowledge of operating, maintaining & keeping records of farm equipment & machinery.
- Practical experience
- Result oriented & a team player.
- Organised, rigorous & precise.
- Recognises & resolves problems quickly & efficiently.
- Ability to effectively communicate & deal with clients & team members.
- Must have good reporting skills.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please send your application through our website www.dorbe-leit.co.ke on the vacancy page before close of business 24th May 2018.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.