Education Development Trust
Job title: Finance Officer
Reports to: Finance Manager
Responsible for: N/A
Usual office base: Education Development Trust, Nairobi, Kenya
Job ref: 01436
Job type: Fixed-term contract
Salary/rate: salary circa 130,000 – 140,000 per month with benefits
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Purpose: The position will be responsible for supporting all the primary financial and accounting transactions in the organization and ensure financial transactions and records are undertaken and maintained in accordance with internal and external financial requirements and in compliance with the laws applicable in Kenya.
The job holder’s duties and responsibilities are outlined as follows:
- Review financial documents guided by the financial guidelines of the organisation and follow-up on any gap areas.
- Prepare and process payment requests by ensuring that all necessary and proper support documents are attached, and the correct codes have been used and all necessary approvals have been obtained.
- Ensure all due invoices and claims are paid on time by performing an accurate accounts payables payment run on a weekly basis.
- Maintain proper and accurate accounting records by filing documents in a timely manner monthly.
- Make and monitor web bank and M-Pesa entries guided by the Financial Guidelines of the organisation.
- Monitor bank and M-Pesa balances weekly and report any anomalies to the Finance Manager.
- Prepare and maintain in file the monthly bank and M-Pesa reconciliations as per the monthly schedule.
- Maintain monthly balance sheet reconciliation schedules for all Balance Sheet Accounts by obtaining up to date statements from suppliers and debtors .
- Support month and year end finance procedures by creating journals to journalise accruals, prepayments and correct any balance sheet anomalies.
- Inputting and verifying data in the ERP system in accordance to Ed Dev Trust finance guidelines.
- Perform regular ERP system checks as directed by the Finance Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports/submissions for presentation to the various clients and management under the guidance of the Grant Analyst or Finance Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of all relevant Kenyan statutory returns by ensuring these are prepared in compliance to the statute and paid on time.
- Assist in preparation for internal and external audits by availing support documentations and relevant audit schedules.
- Advise and provide support to non-finance staff by providing training on the organisation’s financial processes.
- Ensure all financial transactions and records are undertaken and maintained in accordance with Kenyan laws by understanding and applying these laws.
- Develop ideas and ways in which office systems can be made more efficient and cost-effective, whilst respecting project and operational needs.
- Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and the safe and effective operation of the organisation
- Excellent written and oral English Language skills
- Should have an ACCA or CPA (K) or equivalent and a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field.
- Excellent MS-Excel skills
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Excellent Time management skills
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in a multi-project accounting department.
- Experience working with an ERP system (Agresso/Unit 4 business world on, highly desired)
- A thorough understanding of accounting concepts and financial procedures for development partners eg DFID, EC & USAID.
- Experience of explaining variances and dealing with any financial queries.
- Proven experience of being proactive by identifying areas of concern or areas for improvement.
Must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Interpersonal skills, efficiency in task execution
- Ability to compile and analyse data required for reports
- An effective communicator
- Excellent time management
- Ability to work to precise deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite packages (Advanced Excel highly desirable)
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
Education Development Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and police checks.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
If you experience any issues with the application process please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 16/05/2018