Job Vacancy: Food Innovation Manager
Based in Nairobi
Company Background: Our Client is a fast expanding organization with revenues that are growing by 25% annually. They currently employ approximately 2000 staff and they anticipate this number to increase by 25% annually over the next 3 to 5 years. Its employees are integral to the success of the business and are highly valued.
The company operates regionally in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda with plans to continue their expansion in the region.
The Position: Food innovation is integral to the success of our client’s business ensuring that they are always ahead of the curve through customer driven insight and research.
The development of a profitable menu offering will ensure leading edge identification, development and launch of ingredients, new products and innovation within all the Client’s brands.
Integrating consumer insight, research, brand management and all sector requirements, the role is to develop clear and detailed product briefs to uncover insights and bring innovative solutions to the market. The aim is to optimize consumer appeal and position the Client’s brands as leading edge in East Africa and beyond.
The position will be based in Nairobi.
- Creating and leading a multi-year innovation pipeline for the Client and its subsidiary brands including Commercial Innovation while supporting brand strategies
- Identifying trends and insights that lead to the conceptualization of product ideas that will uniquely and competitively position our Client’s brand
- Work closely with a team of chefs and other related departments to ensure all new products meet technical, price and production parameters
- Develop the food and beverage platforms for new concepts and channels for all brands
- Drafting and signing off on product specifications and documentation
Business Interaction and Performance
- Conceptualization of new products right through the seamless transition to the brand team post launch and track year-one-in-market performance.
- Responsible for improving existing product offering and packaging innovation to address Ever-Changing Consumer Demands
- Work closely with finance in delivering P&L, including Y1 and ongoing volume forecasts, along with pricing and trade recommendations to profitably win in the marketplace.
- Drafting and updating company existing/New Product Development procedures and ensuring that all staff are fully compliant
- Reporting on product performance on a regular basis
Research and Development
- Food Industry R&D activities and business performance leading to improved business performance
- Presenting new products to potential customers through research and co-creation groups
- Be the key customer contact for all issues concerning product innovations and outcomes (Business-Customer interface).
Communication And Team Work
- Fostering an environment in which team members are motivated to generate new ideas based around clear customer feedback.
- Taking responsibility for successful handover of product to process development staff
- Contribute to all wider business perspectives from a food innovation perspective.
- A food or business-related degree.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the hospitality industry preferably with 2-3 years exposure to product/marketing innovation at mid-level management within the hospitality and or restaurant industry.
- Exposure to brand management would be an added advantage.
- Previous project management work experience would be an added advantage
- Someone who is absolutely passionate about food and your role in helping to develop new products
- Have some people management experience so that you can get the best out of your team of technologists. This and your excellent communications skills will also help when you’re dealing with other departments and also suppliers and clients.
- A methodical sort of person. You’ll enjoy working your way through processes without taking short cuts making sure everything is always recorded accurately
- Comfortable with deadlines and pressure and organized at all times
- Proficiency working in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
If the above profile describes you, this could be the big opportunity you have been looking for.
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining your availability and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11th June, 2018.