Human Needs Project
Job Title: Career Advisor
Position: Full time position with health benefits
Manages: Prospective students, Enrolled Students and Interns
Supervisor: Director of Education and Empowerment
Position Overview: Human Needs Project (HNP), a Kenyan NGO and U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit, builds sustainable community centers that provide slums with healthy food, clean drinking water, washing facilities, toilets, and showers, as well as adult education, skills training, micro-lending, and Internet access.
HNP opened the Kibera Town Centre (KTC) in 2014, a social enterprise business that operates 10+ business services (including education courses, career training development and business classes) to benefit the people of Kibera.
We are looking for a mature, honest, reliable and responsible individual who is very customer centered, is able to convince students to register for courses, possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrates ability to exercise good customer care.
The successful individual should be able to keep clean student records, should be self-motivated, time conscious, and meticulous about his/her work performance and professionalism.
He/She must be a team player, have integrity and be able to work without close supervision. In additional to being a very personable career development leader, this is also a customer service and sales position with a role similar to that of a “Receptionist” at a Front Office. We are looking for a very positive, highly professional person with a can-do attitude.
The Career Advisor is a new position at the Kibera Town Centre (KTC). This person will work with customers and students to help identify and obtain jobs in their new career field. This individual is focused on the career development of our customers and students, while establishing relationships with prospective employers.
I. Provides Job Placement Assistance
- Follows-up with students on job leads provided by potential employers.
- Monitors the progress of students who are interviewing and follows-up with employers and students to determine the outcome.
- Maintains an active lead generation system to ensure sufficient job opportunities are available for students and graduates.
- Provides communication to students regarding employment activities and opportunities.
- Answers all job lead calls from prospective employers.
II. Advises Students Regarding Career Search
- Works with customers and graduates to assist them in their career search by helping to develop employment goals, resume and cover letter preparation, and interviewing skills.
- Maintains a variety of employment resources, including database of employment possibilities, career guidance references, employment literature and related information.
- Prepares students for employment through proper advisory.
III. Conducts Career Services Training
- Participates in and/or presents career services information at student orientation.
- Works individually and in groups to provide career coaching and educational workshops including, but not limited to, job search strategies, resume creation, cover letters, follow-up letters, preparing for interviews and searching for part-time or permanent career employment.
IV. Handles Student/Customers, Alumni and Employer Outreach
- Assists the KTC Team with planning and promoting career fairs, recruiting opportunities for employers and other career-related events.
- Coordinates employer field trips, attends job fairs, and prepares print materials to generate job leads.
- Identifies and communicates with unplaced customers, KTC graduates and students who are close to completing their training and job classes.
- Maintains contact with local employers to obtain information on job opportunities to develop and enhance working relationships, and to facilitate student placement.
- Advertises placement success within local businesses, schools, etc. in Kibera.
- Collects, maintains and reports on success stories and impact data of programs and services.
- Provides weekly reports regarding placement statistics, new employer relationships, and current employer relationships on a regular and as-needed basis.
- Maintains records of all graduate and intern job placements and creates a filing system (database) of potential placements.
- Ensures that all placement-related data is entered in HNP/KTC’s electronic record keeping system on an accurate and timely basis.
- Ensures proper documentation and verification of all reported graduates employment status is collected and maintained.
- Assists Director of Education and Empowerment Programs in Kenya in surveying graduates and employers to compile data regarding the effectiveness of the programs offered.
V. Follows Compliance Policy and Procedure
- Complies with all Kenya, Department of Education and accreditation regulations.
- Adheres to all HNP/KTC policies and procedures.
- Be a Diploma holder (with a Credit), in a business related field
- Have a K.C.S.E. Aggregate grade of C+ with a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English
- Have completed both ICDL 1 & 2, or Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS), or KTC Basic IT Literacy Course
- Be conversant with the Kenyan education system, and the roles of TVETA, KNEC, NITA, KNQA, MoE, KUCCPS and HELB in the education system
- Be familiar with career trends, options and tracks, including new collar jobs
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication skills and people skills
- Be able to work flexible hours (up to 7p.m. in the evenings)
- Have experience in handling customers and be a “people” person
- Have a passion for Human Needs Project’s mission and goals in Kibera
- Have a minimum 2-3 years of experience in career services, human resources, student advisement or receptionist in a mid-level business/college.
- Familiarity and comfort working with various web based applications
- Sound judgment and reasoning skills to problem solve.
- Clear and concise communication skills.
- Detail oriented, organized and able to prioritize tasks efficiently.
- Exhibits professionalism, strong work ethics, honesty, integrity, courtesy and respect in all dealings with students and customers with whom HNP/KTC conducts business.
Compensation Package: Human Needs Project offers a competitive salary and benefits package in Kibera.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Human Needs Project will be reviewing application until May 31, 2018.
Please send your full application to: email@example.com.
No phone calls please or visits to discuss this position.
Subject heading must have: “Career Advisor” to be considered.
If your qualifications meet the job requirements, a team member will reach out to you to schedule an interview.
1) A complete and updated curriculum vitae/resume.
2) A 1-page detailed cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position
3) All copies of your relevant certifications
4) Salary expectations
Educational Instruction and Library
|Company / Organization||
Human Needs Project (HNP)
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||