Human Needs Project (HNP)
Job Title: Cafeteria Team Leader
Position: Full time position with health benefits
Manages: Cafeteria Team, including Assistant Cook, Waiter and Dishwasher
Position Overview: Human Needs Project (HNP), a Kenyan NGO and U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit, builds sustainable community centers that provide slums with healthy food, clean drinking water, washing facilities, toilets, and showers, as well as adult education, skills training, micro-lending, and Internet access.
HNP opened the Kibera Town Centre (KTC) in 2014, a social enterprise business that operates 10+ business services (including a successful cafeteria/cafe) to benefit the people of Kibera.
HNP is seeking a seasoned manager with 2-3 years of experience leading the operations and business services of a cafe/restaurant. We encourage all experienced managers with years of experience in customer service — and who want to be part of a global team focused on providing high quality and affordable basic human services for children, young adults and entire families in Kibera — to apply.
The Cafeteria Team Leader will manage and operate the KTC Cafeteria to ensure continuous customer satisfaction and financial sustainability. He/She will ensure the Cafeteria Team, including Assistant Cook and Waiter/Dishwasher, meets revenue and customer transaction targets.
This person will have a passion for coaching and training employees including their Cafeteria Team to deliver results. He/She will focus on quality control and exceeding customer expectations.
As the KTC is a social enterprise business, this position is best suited for people who have an entrepreneurial mindset and continue to look at ways to improve business revenue and operations. We are looking for a very positive, highly professional person with a can-do attitude.
The impact you’ll have
- You will play a critical role in the implementation of HNP’s earned revenue business model.
- You will delight customers with excellent food and customer service.
- You will have a deep understanding and awareness of the local community’s interests in food and restaurants to identify business opportunities, and create and implement these services to expand HNP’s sales potential.
- You will develop and maintain a positive relationship with team members and existing customers to ensure continued business and profitability.
- You will achieve sales goals and consistently grow our customer base.
Team Supervision & Cafeteria Management
- Develops menus both for daily use and special functions, keeping in mind available resources (staff, space, tools, food), food safety, great taste, proper nutrition and attractiveness for customers.
- Engages Cafeteria Team to develop performance goals, execute plans and deliver results.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team follow Standard Operating Procedures with smooth handovers to next shift.
- Provides coaching to the Cafeteria Team so they meet targets for revenue, profit and customer transactions.
- Mentors the Cafeteria Team so they learn food preparation to the fullest health and safety measures, and ensures the kitchen is well-kept and follows all health and safety regulations.
- Ensures food has exceptional taste, nutrition and attractiveness for customers.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team learns how to serve customers.
- Provides continuous feedback and conducts timely performance discussion and reviews.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team has the tools and support they need to achieve goals.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team reports all maintenance issues timely so that they are repaired.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team attends meetings promptly and responds to phone calls, messages and emails within 24 hours.
Business Development and Customer Satisfaction
- Ensures Cafeteria Team is exceeding customer expectations.
- Manages customer service issues and professionally addresses concerns.
- Coaches the Cafeteria Team to work collaboratively with the Marketing Team to increase customers in target market.
- Oversees market and customer research on a regular basis.
- Works with Cafeteria Team to develop new business ideas where appropriate, including creating new business plans and presenting them to KTC colleagues for review.
- Ensures business decisions are evidence-based, with research activities to support decisions.
- Develops annual budget for cafeteria and ensures team operates within budget.
- Empowers and coaches the Cafeteria Team to monitor and control costs.
- Ensures Cafeteria Team is protecting assets and preventing revenue loss.
Stakeholder Relationships and Support of the KTC
- Provides excellent customer service, both to all internal and external customer and collaborators.
- Communicates values of HNP and the KTC in all relationships, and ensure those values are upheld at all times.
- Cultivates an atmosphere of respect, trust and cooperation.
- Builds HNP and KTC image by creating and maintaining effective relationships with all collaborators, including customers, local community members, community organizations, donors and board members, and staff.
- Follows all HNP policies, guidelines and Standard Operating Protocols.
- Works as a team player: One team, one dream!
- Attends meetings promptly and responds to phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Markets KTC to family, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances. Actively seeks out new customers and brings them to the KTC.
- 2-3 years of experience in management and customer service.
- Passion for Human Needs Project’s mission and goals in Kibera.
- Experience working with nonprofit institutions.
- Experience in revenue generation in the food and beverage industry.
- Direct field experience in working in slums.
- Proven business budgeting skills with exceptionally strong customer service background.
- Demonstrated experience working across multiple teams and working collaboratively to achieve results.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
Compensation Package: Human Needs Project offers a competitive salary and benefits package in Kibera. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Human Needs Project will be reviewing application until June 15, 2018.
1) A complete and updated CV/Resume.
2) A 1-page detailed cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position.
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please or visits to discuss this position.
Subject heading must have: “Team Lead, Cafeteria” to be considered.
If your qualifications meet the job requirements, a team member will reach out to you to schedule an interview.