International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO)
Job Vacancy: Administrative Assistant, Nairobi
Organisation Background: Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts.
INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today INSO provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in twelve of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO Kenya Monitoring Project: INSO Monitoring is a new ‘INSO-lite’ concept intended to support humanitarian preparedness and response in Medium Risk contexts like Kenya. The service was activated in March 2018.
While operating with the same rigorous quality standards of a regular INSO mission, INSO Monitoring will offer a pared down service menu initially limited to:
Flash alerts and reports on all conflict and criminal incidents affecting our NGO community and on major conflict incidents and serious armed crime. We will no longer report routine crime or tribal violence unless it involves an NGO.
A monthly analytical report including data trends and mapping.
As with all INSO services, INSO Monitoring is only available to non-profit humanitarian & development NGOs (local and international) working to assist the people of Kenya.
Job Summary: Reporting to the INSO Kenya Chief Monitoring Officer and under the technical guidance of INSO Somalia Finance and HR & Administration Managers, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the partners registration & database and the INSO Kenya incidents database.
In addition (s)he will support the Kenya Monitoring and Somalia projects in finances, HR, and administration functions.
Incident Database Management and Analysis
- Manage and keep up-to-date the INSO South Sudan Incident Database
- Provide direct support to programme staff to ensure the proper formatting of information products.
- Provide direct support to programme staff to ensure the production of high quality data visualization.
Partners Registration Database
- Manage the Partner’s Registration Portal, keeping the registration database up-to-date.
- Serve as INSO’s focal point to partner organizations for registration related processes.
- Daily booking of all transactions and reconciliation of cash balances. Monthly reporting to the Finance Manager providing fully reconciled reports detailing income, expenditure and cash reconciliations.
- Daily maintenance/reconciliation of petty cash
- Ensure that all expenses are properly authorized before payment
- Ensure that all payments are prepared in time and in accordance with all financial guidelines
- Reconciliation of advances on a monthly basis giving justification for pending advances
- Maintain Financial filing system in accordance with guidelines
- Provides Documentation required by Auditor and/or Donors.
- Maintain a schedule for payment of utilities and contractual agreements
- Performs other duties as required by Finance Manager
- Ensure all vouchers are scanned (for archiving purposes) on a monthly Basis
- Organize the procurement (quotations, tender) of all the goods and services.
- Ensure the purchasing process is respected, and ensure proper documentation is supporting all the purchases
- Ensure goods and services procured are at a good value for INSO
- Supervision of office supplies
- Maintain and update the inventory list as per INSO requirements and submit monthly reports.
- Ensure all assets are tagged and keep record of movement of assets.
- Ensure physical verification is done on an annual basis.
- Prepare weekly Cash reconciliations for review
- Prepare Monthly Cash reconciliations for review
- Participate in staff meetings
- The position requires the holder to be able to work effectively and efficiently unsupervised. The selected candidate must be able to plan and manage their own time effectively. The holder must exercise a strong work ethic and take responsibility for his/her own actions.
- This position requires a high degree of flexibility with respect to working hours
The above mentioned list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: flexibility is a must and other tasks may be requested to adapt to operational needs.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- At least 2 years of finance and Administration experience, preferably within NGO sector.
- Highly organized and principled character.
- General knowledge of procurement regulations.
- Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com by 25 May 2018 and reference “Admin Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (2-page maximum).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB.