Education Development Trust
Building learning Foundations Programme
Job Vacancy: Internal Audit Expert
Job Ref: 01433
Job type: Fixed-term contract
Salary / rate: Competitive
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Rwanda Education Board (REB) is currently implementing a Management Action Plan targeting further improvements in its Internal Audit, accounting practice, monitoring and evaluation, data and information management and public financial management (PFM).
In this regard, the Building Learning Foundations (BLF) is providing systems strengthening support to the Rwanda Education Board (REB) through the provision of three long-term embedded experts and through other activities.
The Building Learning Foundations programme (BLF) supports the Government of Rwanda’s (GoR) ongoing efforts on improving the quality of teaching and school leadership in all of Rwanda’s Districts over the period 2017 to 2021.
Funded by the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID), the BLF will work at both the national and sub-national levels for the benefit of P1 to P3 English and Mathematics Teachers in all of Rwanda’s 2,494 primary Schools therefore targeting improvements in learner outcomes of over one million P1 to P3 pupils.
The BLF is seeking applications from qualified and suitable persons for the position of Internal Audit Expert based full-time at Kigali, Rwanda (with frequent travel to locations outside Kigali anticipated) and working under the direct management of the REB to provide advice, technical expertise and support to REB’s Internal Audit Unit.
Job purpose: The purpose of this role is to provide advice, technical expertise and support to ongoing Internal Audit reform efforts working alongside other REB and relevant GoR stakeholders and with development partners as assigned by REB.
This role will assist the REB on:
1. The undertaking of capacity assessments and the design and implementation of a long-term capacity building and training program on different aspects of Internal Audit and related REB information systems.
2. The coordination, undertaking and leading on specific pieces of Internal Audit work as and when assigned.
3. The production of relevant and timely data and statistics as inputs to various reports and the generation of relevant and timely analytics for different meetings and forums as assigned.
Scope: As an advisor to REB and working through the technical day-to-day management of REB’s Internal Auditor, this role will provide advice, technical expertise and support to REB’s improvement efforts on Internal Audit.
The post holder will ensure that advice, implementation and support provided is timely and as per expected highest standards.
The scope of work will include assisting REB’s Internal Auditor on:
1. Designing and undertaking of capacity assessments as well as the design and implementation of a long-term capacity building and training program on internal audit for new and current REB staff.
2. Enhancing REB’s risk-based annual planning and audit scheduling.
3. Assessing different departments’ compliance with policies and procedures for REB’s sound business practices.
4. Electronic audits of financial and accounting practices used for REB’s books of accounts and REB’s procurement procedures. This will also include developing recommendations for improvements in controls and to assist in the development and implementation of specific actions arising once recommendations are adopted.
5. Undertaking performance audits of REB activities across all REB departments (ICT in Ed, CPMD, TDM, EQS, HESLD, and Examination department).
6. Performing audits of REB Asset management practices and risk control and to develop recommendations for improvements in controls and to assist in the development and implementation of specific actions arising once recommendations are adopted.
7. Implementing REB’s Management Action Plan on internal audit and to follow up the implementation of recommendations by external auditors and by the Rwanda Office of the Auditor General (OAG).
8. Reporting to REB’s audit committee on audits conducted including on the preparation of timely data and statistics as inputs to various forums and reports where necessary.
9. The role will also perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The following are the minimum requirements for the job:
- A minimum of a BBA in Finance and Accounting is required. An MBA with a focus on Finance and Accounting will be an added advantage.
- Must have at least one of the following professional qualifications: Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Public Audit Professional or Certification in Control Self-Assessment.
- Must have excellent written and oral English language skills and should be able to communicate well with senior government officials. Kinyarwanda language skills will be an added value
- Must be proficient and strong in computer skills (MS Office package, Database Systems, Statistical Analysis).
- Must have a good grasp of project management disciplines to support successful implementation of activities.
- For a BBA holder, at least 5 years’ experience in auditing government institutions required. For an MBA holder, at least 3 years’ experience in auditing government institutions required.
- Must be a member of an auditing body in Rwanda or outside Rwanda for the preceding 3 years.
- Must have experience with of the GoR’s payments and procurement systems (IFMIS, IPPS and E-Procurement).
- Must have proven successful experience in a similar role in Rwanda or in the region. Working experience in Internal Audit for the Education sector an advantage.
- Must have experience of working in cross-functional teams.
- Must have demonstrable ability to working independently while managing risks and ensuring PFM and cost-effectiveness.
- Must have demonstrable ability in the facilitation of stakeholder engagements and training workshops.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team environment.
- Must be strong in team-work, team-building and motivational skills.
- Must be strong in negotiating, analytical, critical thinking, reporting and influencing skills.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
- Must display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Must fulfil all obligations to child protection awareness, gender sensitivity and must have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and corruption.
Reporting: The role will be under REB’s direct management and reporting on a day-to-day basis. Monthly timesheets will be co-signed by REB and the expert to be sent to BLF for processing of payments. A quarterly report on progress and which is co-signed by REB and the expert will be sent to BLF for purposes of reporting upwards through the BLF log frame.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
If you experience any issues with the application process please email: email@example.com
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisting will be done on an on going basis.
Closing date: 16/05/2018