The KEMRI / University of Washington Study
The KEMRI / UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary research aimed at improving the lives of women and children living in Kenya. Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a motivated, committed, and honest staff member to join our team.
Job Title: Study Nurse or Clinical Officer
Job Description: The Study Nurse / Clinical Officer will be responsible for the screening, consenting, examining, enrollment and overall coordination of a study titled “Potential modulation of EPEC susceptibility and severity by an HIV- or antibiotic-altered intestinal microbiome: A pilot study”.
She/he will work together with the study investigators to conduct and manage the study on a day-to day basis from early stage initiation stage through study close-out.
She/he will work with Study Investigators to prepare and submit regulatory authority documents, design and edit appropriate logs to document study-related activities, and lead participant activities.
She/he must communicate regularly on phone and email with Nairobi and Seattle based members of the study team and lead weekly study calls.
She/he is expected to work under minimal supervision and provide guidance to other study staff under her/him.
She/he will be based in Migori county where patient recruitment will be happening.
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery or Diploma in Nursing
- Holds a current practicing license
- Three years of working experience as a Nurse or Clinical Officer
- Experience working in research studies will be an added advantage
- Be able to design, amend and implement research protocols
- Ability to manage personnel
- Ability to communicate effectively and frequently to domestic and international supervisor in person, over the phone, on Skype, and over email.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to multi-task
- Be a team player
- Highly detail oriented
- The study nurse will act as the primary point person for study coordination and will oversee and conduct study activities including but not limited to:
- Set up enrollment site at health facility in Migori County
- Conduct recruitment and enrollment procedures at study site in Migori County
- Oversee specimen collection, storage, and shipment from the sites to the Centre for Microbiology Research (CMR) in Nairobi
- Scheduling and managing all staff members at the study sites
- Act as a liaison between members of hospitals and the Ministry of Health
- Maintain strong relationship with study clinical sites and community groups involved
- Review and provide input on standard operating procedures
- Ensure compliance to standard operating procedures and best practices for the study
- Develop and maintain quality control and assurance checks for study procedures and data
- Attend and organize training of study procedures
- Ensure all data is managed and entered appropriately and in a timely fashion
- Observation of study procedures to ensure adherence to protocol
- Maintenance of Trial Master File and all quality control documentation
- Responsible for all ethical review board applications
- Act as a liaison between site staff members and Nairobi and Seattle-based study leadership through regular communication with both site staff and study leadership
- Lead weekly study calls with the leadership team in Nairobi and Seattle
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Study Investigators
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW Organization
Terms of Employment: 6-month contract (With possibility of extension) as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 1 month. The successful candidate shall be based in Migori and should be able to start work with effect from 25th June, 2018.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales. Health Insurance Cover is provided for the staff members only.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete our online application form and send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by 28th May, 2018 at 4.00 p.m.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.