Médecins du Monde
Job Vacancy: Training Officer – Harm Reduction
Mission Context: Médecins du Monde (MdM – Doctor of the World) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over.
It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For 20 years, Médecins du Monde has been involved in Harm Reduction, and is recognised globally for its work in this area.
Since registration in Kenya, 2013, MDM has been working under Harm Reduction project with the aim to strengthen the capacity of Kenyan actors (voluntary organisations, healthcare professionals etc.) and to become a model project for the country.
Tasks and responsibilities:
She/he will ensure the following responsibilities in close collaboration with the program coordinator and other team members.
The training & Capacity Building Officer will be responsible for training and capacity building around the issues of Harm Reduction.
The position will require excellent facilitation skills, organizational skills, and the confidence to work with a variety of people from different partner organizations.
- Define and develop the capacity building component of the program
- Identify and develop capacity building objectives, targets and allies in line with key MdM-Kenya Country strategy with the support of the Program Coordinator
- Assess and develop capacity building needs, plans, tools/methods, topics/modules for country’s stakeholders and team members in line with country strategy
- Design yearly training strategy, training/sensitization modules and training calendar for identified participants in English and Swahili
- Develop internal SOP for trainings and sensitizations of various stakeholders
- Implementation of the capacity building plan
- Organize training/sensitization sessions: invitation and mobilization of the participants, logistic and financial needs required,
- Deliver training/sensitization sessions to PWUD (including peer educators), volunteers, interns and other stakeholders (such as medical staff, police, NGO staff, religious & administrative leaders, etc.),
- Develop pre and post-training questionnaires and evaluation forms for training/sensitization sessions and analyse results of those tools,
- Contribute to the development of IEC materials in line with the program’s needs (leaflet, poster, audio or video support).
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Ensure a good follow up and monitoring of the capacity building activities by developing a monitoring and archiving system
- Prepare reports on each training/sensitization session
- Prepare and submit monthly activity reports, minutes for meetings and discussions
- Report any constraints and incidents that may cause harm to beneficiaries to the line manager before taking any action
- Perform other duties upon request
- Stay informed on protocols, guidelines and all relevant information related to the program
- Support the Program Coordinator in external communications related to the program and the production of a diverse range of information products (brochures, leaflets, videos, website…)
- Represent the organization upon request
- Participate in any special event and advocacy campaigns conducted in line with the program’s strategy
- Contribute to develop health education session and recreational activities toward the beneficiaries
- Observe MdM security protocols, including wearing of professional protective equipment,
- Respect beneficiary confidentiality, MDM policies, reporting lines
- Always interact with beneficiaries in a professional manner and with their consent.
- Any other tasks as requested by Program Coordinator
The ideal candidate:
Education and professional background
- A degree in any related field
- Prior knowledge of harm reduction programmes
- At least 3 years’ experience in training and community mobilization and event coordination activities
- Knowledge and experience in training curriculum design, development, and delivery
Skills and qualities required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Familiarity with current technology: computers, networks and software, including Windows XP Professional programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook and databases
- Exceptional writing, editing, and oral communications skills in English
- Familiarity with marginalized populations and established commitment to cultural diversity and cultural competence is essential.
Supervisory responsibility: None
Reporting Line: Program Coordinator
Directly working with program team, beneficiaries and relevant stake holders.
How to Apply
Send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 16th May 2018.
MDM is an equal opportunity employer; candidates are not required to pay anything at any point of the process.