African Academy of Sciences
Position Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Vacancy Announcement No: AAS/ME/18/005
Reporting to: TBD
Position Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 3 Years Renewable
Closing date: 8th June 2018
Organisation Overview: The AAS is a pan African organisation whose headquarters are in Kenya. The Academy has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think-tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key science, technology and innovation programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the agenda setting and funding platform – the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
Position Overview: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for the implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework for the organisation’s projects and contribute to the design and implementation of related core M&E research and development activities of AAS.
The incumbent will work under the guidance of the Programme Manger to ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation is carried out at outcome level and for ensuring that projects at AAS maintain their strategic vision and that all activities result in the achievement of intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Operationalise the M&E framework designed for the Academy including and not limited to designing program M&E tools for data collection, verification, and management and reporting as well as data audits;
- Contribute to the development, design and planning of projects for a clear and feasible strategy towards impact that is in line with AAS’ mission and strategy, and projects and include clearly defined measurable indicators of outputs, outcomes and impact
- Contribute to outcome and evidence-based strategic decision making at AAS and promote a culture of evidence-based learning and adaptation
- Support Programme Managers to develop systematic and realistic monitoring plans that capture quantitative and qualitative data to report on project performance indicators
- Follow up on monitoring and evaluation exercises for various initiatives for the Academy
- Conduct capacity assessments on existing monitoring and evaluation system
- Lead the design and implementation of ex-post and ex-ante evaluations of AAS technologies and interventions using robust methods of impact evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results as well as the sustainability of the project results and report periodically to management team
- Participate in a multidisciplinary team to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans to improve AAS programming effectiveness
- Build the capacity of project staff in monitoring and evaluation and specifically how to demonstrate impact.
- Develop and maintain a system for archiving M&E guidelines, tools, data files, analysis files, reports and presentations for major activity undertaken
- Develop programme and operational reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information in programmes, including input for impact related success stories
- Support in gathering, summarising and disseminating relevant technical updates on programme planning monitoring, evaluation and operations research within the programmes
- Coordinate mid‐term reviews and evaluation of programme activities and ensure proper documentation of innovative approaches and best practices for dissemination and sharing experiences to promote repeat applications or scaling‐up in different community settings
- Support Programme Managers in preparing quarterly/annual reports on projects progress.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration or any other related field
- At least five (5) years relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Strong training and facilitation skills with an ability to initiate and manage change and to recognize and adjust to rapidly changing conditions
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to write reports
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, verbal skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
- High moral standing with impeccable integrity
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages
- Experience in managing M&E database systems
- Expertise in analysing data using statistical software
- Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook express including financial and statistical packages.
All Applicants must CLICK HERE to download and fill our job application form from the AAS website.
All applicants must submit the filled application form, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to email@example.com, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 8th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted