Job Vacancy: Senior Project Officers, Technical Assistance for Nutrition (TAN)
Location: Africa Regional Office, Nairobi, Kenya
Overall Purpose / Broad Function: Nutrition International (NI)’s Global Technical Services (GTS) Unit, leads on the quality assurance of NI’s research and programs, and the dissemination and translation of new knowledge to influence and improve national and global policies and practice.
The Nutrition-Technical Assistance Mechanism (NTEAM) is a way through which governments and other nutrition stakeholders can access NI’s technical expertise.
With support from UK aid from the UK Government and as a part of NTEAM, the Technical Assistance for Nutrition (TAN) project seeks to improve the capacity of Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) countries to design, deliver and track the progress of nutrition programs and to generate, learn from and adopt knowledge of what works.
Under TAN, NI is providing technical assistance (TA) to help SUN Focal Points, in select countries, overcome gaps in capacity for the design and delivery of multi-sectoral national nutrition plans. Under TAN, NI is also working closely with, and providing TA support to the SUN Movement Secretariat (SMS). TAN taps
into its global hub to source and deploy the expertise needed.
The project aims to accelerate the achievement of better health and nutrition status of populations by ensuring that governments are better equipped to act swiftly to scale up nutrition in their countries.
Priority client SUN countries currently include: Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Niger, Nigeria, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Uganda, Tanzania and Zambia in Africa; and Bangladesh, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, and the Philippines in Asia.
TAN is recruiting for two (2) dynamic, collaborative professionals keen to join a dedicated and ambitious team. Each Senior Project Officer (SPO) will be responsible to lead TAN activities across a number of TAN African countries (specific countries for each SPO will be decided upon recruitment).
Overall Accountability and Function: The TAN SPO leads in-country engagement with 4-5 TAN African SUN countries, and is responsible for all aspects of TAN TA provision in these countries. The SPO is expected to conduct periodic in-country missions to prioritize TA needs; develop and maintain productive relationships with key nutrition partners.
The SPO is accountable for developing clear Terms of Reference (ToRs) for TA assignments, recruiting strong TA providers and providing ongoing oversight throughout delivery of TA to ensure adherence to contracts and client expectations.
This position directly reports to the TAN Project Manager (based in Ottawa, Canada), indirectly reports to the Africa Regional Director (based in NI Nairobi Regional Office) and requires frequent communication with NI Regional and Country colleagues.
The SPO is expected to work closely with NI TAN’s Project Managers, SPOs, Project Officers and Project Assistants throughout the TAN project.
Supervisory Responsibilities: There may be supervisory responsibility to oversee TAN Africa Regional staff. This will be determined during the recruitment process.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Identification, Prioritization and Recruitment of Technical Assistance (TA) needs
Work closely with NI and TAN staff, SUN Focal Points and networks (civil society, business, UN, and donor networks), multi-stakeholder platforms, DFID and other nutrition partners to:
- identify, specify, assess and prioritise TA needs for each assigned country;
- develop clear and relevant ToRs for prioritized TA needs;
- source and select appropriate national and/or international TA providers; and
- negotiate contracts with, manage and monitor the performance of TA providers.
Monitoring and Oversight of TA Provision
- Conduct on-boarding of TA providers to ensure clarity of expectations
- Provide ongoing support and mentoring as needed to TA providers on technical and administrative issues
- In coordination with NI colleagues, review TA deliverables and conduct regular monitoring of TA delivery
- Coordinate satisfaction surveys and exit interviews
- Help ensure Value for Money (VfM) principles are incorporated throughout the TA process
- Help ensure gender is considered in the above processes in line with NI and TAN tools
Coordination and Representation
- Work closely with TAN colleagues, Africa Regional Director and NI Country Directors to ensure good coordination and information sharing
- Ensure partners are regularly consulted and updated on in-country discussions and progress
- Represent TAN at external technical meetings, as delegated.
Knowledge Management and Learning from TA
- In collaboration with TAN colleagues and partners, identify, document and share knowledge/lessons for internal and external communication purposes
- Provide input to TAN reporting as requested
Any other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education / Professional Designations / Experience
- Post graduate degree (or equivalent qualifications) in nutrition, public health, and/or related field.
- Experience with, and sound understanding of health systems.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in project management supporting social sector international development.
- Experience in the provision of technical assistance an asset.
- Field experience in a developing country and/or experience in a cross-cultural environment an asset
- Experience in working with DFID will be an advantage
- Experience in working with multistakeholder platforms and processes, or other complex collaboration platforms across sectors, including health, agriculture, education and social protection.
- Superior communications skills (verbal and written).
- Fluency in English – both reading and writing – is essential.
- Knowledge of other languages spoken in countries supported by NI is an asset (e.g. French).
Based in Nutrition International’s Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The SPO position will be required to travel internationally (approximately 8-10 weeks annually).
Other Specific Skill Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, maturity, tact and discretion.
- Ability to work in cross disciplinary and cross cultural teams.
- Ability to plan and organize work to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues to achieve team goals.
- Ability to listen and appreciate alternative perspectives.
- Ability and willingness to think outside the box.
How to Apply
If you are seeking a challenging role with a growing organization, we want to hear from you.
Please log in to https://nutritionintl.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=43 and submit your resume and cover letter by May 25, 2018.
Senior Project Officers, Technical Assistance for Nutrition (TAN)
Health and Medical
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||