Ona Kenya Limited
Job Vacancy: DevOps / Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Nairobi Kenya
About Ona: The world’s leading humanitarian and development organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. Our tools are used globally to improve child and maternal health, governance, agriculture, access to infrastructure, and government accountability. Our team has played a pioneering role in the use of technology for social impact.
Ona is a team of just under forty, consisting of passionate software engineers, data analysts, designers, support specialists and development practitioners. Ona has offices in Nairobi, Kenya and Washington D.C.
Our consulting work is challenging, takes us to difficult places, and has direct impact. In the past two years, Ona has successfully delivered technology solutions projects in over 15 countries.
These include developing the vote tallying software used in Libyan elections, supporting WHO and the government of Sierra Leone in the Ebola response, providing a lead technical support role to the DFID Somalia Humanitarian Programme, and supporting the Government of Nepal conduct the post-earthquake damage assessment.
Role Overview: We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in, then you research and stand on the shoulders of giants to follow best practices. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You prefer open systems that are verifiably secure, you publish and use open source code, like we do.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span time zones and cultures.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Minimum 3 years maintaining production systems on Linux
- Minimum 2 years writing production web applications
- Minimum 1 year working with deployment or infrastructure tools, e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience working with remote teams
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Nice to haves
- Experience managing and automating infrastructure on AWS, GCP, and Azure
- Experience using Ansible, Terraform, and Hashicorp Vault
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes, and KOPS
- Experience using InfluxDB, Graphite, and Grafana
- Experience using Monit, Nginx, and SystemD
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
- (bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.