Education Development Trust
Building Learning Foundations Programme (BLF)
Job Vacancy: Public Financial Management (PFM) Expert
Job Ref: 01434
Job type: Fixed-term contract
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Rwanda Education Board (REB) is currently implementing a Management Action Plan targeting further improvements in its Internal Audit, accounting practice, monitoring and evaluation, data and information management and public financial management (PFM).
In this regard, the Building Learning Foundations (BLF) is providing systems strengthening support to the Rwanda Education Board (REB) through the provision of three long-term embedded experts and through other activities.
The Building Learning Foundations programme (BLF) supports the Government of Rwanda’s (GoR) ongoing efforts on improving the quality of teaching and school leadership in all of Rwanda’s Districts over the period 2017 to 2021.
Funded by the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID), the BLF will work at both the national and sub-national levels for the benefit of P1 to P3 English and Mathematics Teachers in all of Rwanda’s 2,494 primary Schools therefore targeting improvements in learner outcomes of over one million P1 to P3 pupils.
The BLF is seeking applications from qualified and suitable persons for the position of PFM Expert based full-time at Kigali, Rwanda (with frequent travel to locations outside Kigali anticipated) and working under the direct management of the REB to provide advice, technical expertise and support to Head of Corporate Services.
Job purpose: The purpose of this role is to provide advice, technical expertise and support to ongoing PFM reform efforts working alongside other REB and relevant Go stakeholders and with development partners as assigned by REB.
This role will assist the REB on:
1. The implementation of specific management actions on PFM including coordinating, undertaking and leading on specific pieces of PFM work as and when assigned.
2. Undertaking of capacity assessments and the design and implementation of a long-term capacity building and training program on different aspects of PFM and related REB information systems.
3. The production of relevant and timely data and statistics as inputs to various reports and the generation of relevant and timely analytics for different meetings and forums as assigned.
Scope: As an advisor to the REB DG and working with the technical day-to-day management of REB’s Head of Corporate Services, this role will provide advice, technical expertise and support to REB’s improvement efforts on PFM.
The post holder will ensure that advice, implementation and support provided is timely and as per expected highest standards.
The scope of work will include:
1. Supporting the implementation of REB’s Financial Management Action Plan on PFM aspects.
2. Capacity development of REB staff and institutional capacity building (tools, methods and approaches supporting REB’s ongoing efforts towards more effective PFM practices and systems).
3. Developing tools, methods and approaches for capacity building and training on strengthening district-level (and below) PFM practices and systems in education.
4. Supporting the development of PFM metrics and relevant data collection, analysis and dissemination efforts for planning, decision-making and monitoring around PFM in education.
5. Drafting technical reports as and when required.
6. Perform other tasks related to PFM as assigned.
7. The role will also perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The following are the minimum requirements for the job:
- Master’s degree in public finance or other related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working on public finance management and fiscal decentralization.
- Must have excellent written and oral English skills and should be able to communicate well with senior government officials. Kinyarwanda language is an added value
- Must be proficient and strong in computer skills (MS Office package, Database Systems, Statistical Analysis).
- Must have a good grasp of project management disciplines to support successful implementation of activities.
- Experience on PFM programs for the education sector.
- Experience on Medium-term expenditure planning, Performance management / Result-based budgeting and Financial Management and Data Systems.
- Experience in effectively working with national level ministries and agencies like REB, local government institutions, senior government officials as well as with staff across diverse technical areas.
- Working experience in Rwanda is an added advantage.
- Must have experience of working in cross-functional teams.
- Must have demonstrable ability to working independently while managing risks and ensuring PFM and cost-effectiveness.
- Must have demonstrable ability in the facilitation of stakeholder engagements and training workshops.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team environment.
- Must be strong in team-work, team-building and motivational skills.
- Must be strong in negotiating, analytical, critical thinking, reporting and influencing skills.
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity.
- Must display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Must fulfil all obligations to child protection awareness, gender sensitivity and must have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and corruption.
Reporting: The role will be under REB’s direct management and reporting on a day-to-day basis. Monthly timesheets will be co-signed by REB and the expert to be sent to BLF for processing of payments. A quarterly report on progress and which is co-signed by REB and the expert will be sent to BLF for purposes of reporting upwards through the BLF log frame.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
If you experience any issues with the application process please email: email@example.com
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisting will be done on an on going basis.
Closing date: 16/05/2018
The Government of Rwanda, REB, DFID and the Building Learning Foundations are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers, police checks and the Disclosure and Barring Service.