Job Title: Program Officer I – Data Manager
Job Summary: Population Council seeks an experienced professional to serve as a Program Officer I – Data Manager who will be responsible for all aspects of data management in the Council’s office in Kenya.
The job holder’s key responsibilities include coordinating the processing of collected data; supporting project staff with data collection activities; overseeing proper management of data including secure back-up and archiving; supporting project staff with basic data analysis and reporting; representing the Council in technical working group meetings involving data management, processing and utilization; and providing data management support to other Council offices in sub-Saharan Africa if needed.
This position is a local hire position.
Candidates must be Kenyan nationals.
- Coordinate all aspects of data management for ongoing and new research projects, including designing data entry screens; recruiting, training and supervising data entry personnel and activities; and overseeing data cleaning processes;
- Assist project staff with the design and implementation of research studies by reviewing study tools; programming the tools on mobile handheld devices such as tablets in android platforms; and training research assistants on utilization of new data collection and entry technologies;
- Work with project and field staff to ensure successful implementation of program monitoring and evaluation strategies and frameworks by conducting data validation and verification checks;
- Work with the Network Coordinator to develop, implement and support data archiving and protection mechanisms including secure data back-up and web-based data management system;
- Support project staff with basic data analysis and reporting including generating summary results of research data, transcribing open-ended data, and preparing summary reports of research activities;
- Work with the Network Coordinator to provide technical assistance to staff for basic information, communication and technology (ICT) support, software management and maintenance;
- Represent the Council in project dissemination meetings, training workshops, and technical working group meetings organized by national and international organizations including government and donor agencies;
- Provide data management support to other Council offices in sub-Saharan Africa region if needed including programming study tools on mobile hand held devices, training research assistants on the new technologies, and preparing the data for analysis.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, information technology, computer science, management information systems (MIS) or MIS-related field with at least 2 years of relevant experience; or a satisfactory combination of education and relevant experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with managing large datasets and relational databases such as Access and SQL, and programming using JAVA, Python, XML or SQL on Android or Windows platforms;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with basic data analysis using statistical software such as Excel, Stata or SPSS.
- GIS skills are an added advantage ;
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to translate technical programming and data management information for non-technical audience;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong supervision skills demonstrated by prior experience of successfully supervising a small group of data personnel;
- Readiness to travel within Kenya and internationally.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Applications must be received by May 18, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Population Council is an equal opportunity employer.