We are hiring a Public Health Programme Manager!
Village Hope Core International is a small, innovative non-profit organization that works in Chogoria, Eastern Kenya and its surrounding communities to alleviate poverty and improve health through microfinance loans and microenterprise, business training and support, health promotion and disease prevention programs
Our vision is to create a transformed, enabled, and empowered people of Kenya and the rest of Africa who can respond to their personal, social, and economic challenges effectively.
Our health programs in collaboration with 200 schools, currently reach over 60,000 people in Maala Sub County of Tharakanithi.
Our team of 60 staff and 50 field volunteers works passionately and with undying enthusiasm to drive this change every single day. Over the next few years we are aiming to expand to other regions in Kenya and beyond.
About the role
As the Public Health Programme Manager, the creation and execution of the Public Health programs operational strategy. You will create and implement systems to ensure we are delivering quality and innovative programs to our communities
The position requires a natural born leader who is passionate about building and leading large teams toward a common goal. You will spend 50% of your time out of the office either engaging with high-level community-stakeholders, visiting schools, working side-by-side with our community health workers, or conducting home visits to build sustainable relationships for the effectiveness of our programs.
Your responsibilities will include
- Develop strategies and create necessary systems and processes to ensure quality delivery of our programs
- Manage and develop new and existing health education programs, mobile health clinics, sexual and reproductive health services, mosquito net distribution, clean water, hygiene and sanitation in schools and vision testing programs;
- Lead the creation and monitoring of programmatic budgets In collaboration with the team, ensure regular, quality monitoring and evaluation of all programs;
- Oversee the implementation and evaluation of our newly launched mobile app for data collection
- Design and drive a communication strategy to ensure we are clearly and consistently articulating our success and impact stories to all relevant stakeholders
- Ensure maximum optimization of all program resources (human, machinery, finances) in order to achieve program goals
Building an engaging team
- Build and develop a high-performing public health team by rallying a diverse team with strong personalities around a common goal
- Contribute to the development of and provide leadership to the public health team, from direct reports to community health volunteers;
- Participate in performance reviews and individual capacity development plans for public health team members;
- Constantly seek new opportunities to tap into for new collaborations and opportunities
- Act as the key point of contact for Public Health Programme stakeholders, included by not limited to Ministry of Health and Education officials and teachers;
- Create and lead relevant and quality experiences for our international visiting nurses and medical physicians to ensure successful partnerships between parties.
- Contribute to the identification and documentation of experiences, successful approaches and evidence for effective strategies for strengthening projects;
- Support research, qualitative and quantitative analysis, writing, and publication of reports;
Donor Relations and Development
- Participate in fundraising efforts, including new program development, proposal and concept note development, budgeting and the development and management of relationships with existing and potential donors;
- Research grant agencies and foundations to identify potential sources of funding;
- Develop relationships with implementing partners and funders and reporting on project progress to funder(s);
- Writing of grant and program proposals and reports.
Who we are looking for
- You have at least 3-5 years of management experience, with progressive responsibilities, and have managed teams of 10-15 people;
- Clinical health experience (medicine or nursing) – preferred, OR at least 3 years of experience managing health programmes in a growing organization with small agile teams;
- You are a great executor, you thrive at bringing the big picture into reality
- You are a natural in creating and developing sustainable relationships with diverse stakeholders, and experience working across time zones;
- You have a record of creating a positive and productive workplace. One that values hard work, feedback and continuous improvement, inclusion and commitment to work and working with other teams
- You have knowledge and experience in various monitoring and evaluation practices in NGOs and have the know-how of driving KPI definition and tracking
- You have at least 7 years work experience, preferably 1-2 with non-profits in rural East Africa
- You have a proven record in fundraising and writing winning proposals
- You have the proven ability to analyse data and draw insights to make decisions You are a highly enthusiastic person with proven ability to work under high demanding work environments;
- You are passionate about social change and want to build a career around it;
- You have the ability to multitask in ambiguous environments and can deliver results while working independently;
- You have exemplary track record of leading teams to achieve results;
- You have experience in resource management, including financial, logistical, and human;
- You are bold and can confidently share your opinion with others;
- Your friends claim you are the most organized and detailed person they ever met;
- You have demonstrated the ability to think critically and creatively in developing solutions;
- You have a strong verbal and written communications skills. Fluent in English and Kiswahili;
- You have past experience in donor reporting;
- You are conversant with basic IT skills such as MS office, Google drive, Android.
You have the cultural fit to work in Village HopeCore International
- You are passionate about empowering lives of others and creating sustainable change.
- You love being out there, engaging with the communities and driving change from the grass root level
- You value the importance of giving and receiving feedback as an ingredient for building effective teams
- You are able to multi-task and willing to think outside-the-box.
- You are excited about working in multicultural team environments.
- You have high enthusiasm and positivity in your approaches.
- You are a curious and fast learner who never wants to stop learning.
- You are able to pick up new tasks, skills, and challenges and execute them effectively.
Why work with us?
- We give you an opportunity to drive your own growth and development
- Opportunity to work in a purpose-driven organization and roles
- Be part of our expansion of our impact beyond our current scope
This opportunity is based in Chogoria Kenya and the professional should be able to start latest 1st August 2018
We will arrange a 6-month initial probation period.
A commitment of working with us for at least 3 years is expected.
Want to apply
- Fill out the application form under this link http://bit.ly/JoinVHC
- Deadline for this application is 11th June 2018 If the role is not filled by then, we will still accept and review applications on a rolling basis
- The selection process will involve a psychometric test, site visits and case studies
Not for you?
Please forward the role to your networks who may find it interesting
Selection process in partnership with www.edgeperformance.co.ke