The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) is an Intergovernmental organization which provides services in surveying, mapping, remote sensing, GIS and ICT to its Member States, partners and clients. It has twenty member States in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region.
Our Mission is to promote sustainable development in the member States through generation, application and dissemination of geo-information and allied ICT services, products and services.
RCMRD wishes to fill the following vacant position:
Geo – IT Technician
Duties and Responsibilities
The Geo-IT Technician will be responsible for maintaining, designing, developing, enhancing, debugging and implementing geospatial applications (web-based, or standalone), to integrate models and model data into the RCMRD Geoportal, or to deliver data to RCMRDAfrica clients, troubleshooting production problems related to GIS applications and provide technical support and training to the application users.
Reporting to the Director of Technical Services, the Geo-IT Technician will specifically carry out the following functions:-
- Maintaining, designing, developing, enhancing, debugging and implementing geospatial applications (web-based, or standalone), to integrate models and model data into the RCMRD Geoportal, or to deliver data to RCMRD-Africa clients.
- Troubleshooting production problems related to GIS applications.
- Researching, testing, building and coordinating the conversion and/or integration of new components based on client requirements.
- Producing system designs and implementation plans for software components and/or applications.
- Performing rigorous testing of developed applications to ensure required functionality and performance requirements are met as well as ensuring compliance of developed systems with global and internal standards and data interoperability interfaces (e.g. OGC).
- Collecting, documenting and organising requirements (user interface, performance, system constraints, etc).
- Advising RCMRD management on feasibility analysis of potential projects.
- Producing technical documentation for geospatial applications.
- Producing user manuals or other methods of user guidance (e.g. online help), as needed.
- Conducting rigorous testing of tools and applications developed.
- Providing technical assistance to application users.
- Documenting, designing, coding, and testing GIS solutions and GIS applications.
- Engaging in relevant training and outreach activities.
- Participating in knowledge sharing mechanisms such as the RCMRD GIT Community of practice, training activities, as well as internal capacity building and knowledge exchange processes and practices implemented at RCMRD in matters of geospatial application development.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in GIS and computer science or equivalent professional working experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Geospatial Analysis (GA) and GIS software.
- Proficient in the use of ArcGIS for desktop and server, open source GIS packages and corresponding developer tools.
- Proficient in the development and use of scripts (Python and other relevant languages).
- Proficient in the use of multiple data formats (shape files, image files, etc).
- Proficient working in a Windows operating system environment.
- A geospatial analyst background or similar work experience is desired.
- Computer programming expertise, preferably with multiple development and client platforms and object-oriented programming languages.
- Experienced in developing web mapping application using Open Sources Software/Libraries
- Experience with database management systems and using Structured Query Language e.g. PostgresSQL and SQL Server
- Experience in mobile application development is an asset
Contract duration: Two (2) years renewable.
Salary Scale: The salary for the above position is consolidated and is in the range of:
GS5: Ksh. 713, 807 by Ksh. 35,315 to ksh 1, 031, 648 p.a.
Entry point for the position will be determined by qualifications and experience.
Benefits: These include, housing allowance, transport allowance, contributory provident fund with both parties contributing 7% of monthly basic salary towards the fund, 10% gratuity of annual basic salary based on successful completion of the contract and a staff contributory group medical scheme to a maximum of five (5) family members.
Interested candidates, who should be citizens of Kenya, should submit their applications, along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as copies of relevant certificates and testimonials to:
Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development,
P.O Box 632, 00618, Roysambu, Kasarani,
Via e-mail: email@example.com so as to be received not later than 15th June, 2018.
RCMRD is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications from suitably qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged.
Please note that the Centre DOES NOT charge any fees during the recruitment process.