Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
The Sanergy Fellows Program seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Business Risk Management (BRM) Intern who will work in our Legal department:
A typical day for you might include the following
- Formulating compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required to draft legal documents is provided accordingly
- Ensuring records of contracts, leases, loan agreements and the covenants as the case may be are in good order
- Providing timely prompts to team leaders and managers on renewals or termination of agreements
- Drawing up contracts, lease documents, loan agreements and other legal documents as may be required by internal stakeholders to assist and support various business activities
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal or business risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken
- Providing and interpreting legal information, conducting training and disseminating appropriate legal information to staff
- Negotiating, reviewing and drafting documentation for business transactions and advising on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time
- Reviewing progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers
- Ensuring the undertaking of due diligence searches on behalf of the Sanergy and Fresh Life and associated companies and liaising with an external legal counsel as required
- Ensuring the follow up of all court cases facing the organization and attend court hearings where necessary, follow up of Judgments and costs on behalf of the Organization.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- LL.B (Second Upper) from a Public University is Required.
- At least 1-year experience in a busy law firm/organization.
- Demonstrable experience in handling vendor contract portfolio
- Excellent research skills
- Experience in Immigration laws will be an added advantage
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism. Should have the ability to maintain confidentialities and tactful in dealing with clients
- Proactive, able to multi-task, prioritize work, meet deadlines & works effectively under pressure with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated initiative in developing solutions to meet complex administrative/technical needs of a workgroup. Should have very strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain equilibrium and focus in a demanding, fast-paced work environment and be a team player and effective in the role of BRM resource.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
To apply, please submit a cover letter and your 1-page resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st May, 2018.
While the 2017 Sanergy interns are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation