Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab refugee camp and in Korogocho slums.
Tdh also implements health and nutrition projects in Garissa County and has willingness to develop WASH Projects in Garissa.
In line with this Tdh seeks the following vacant position:
WASH Technical Officer
Starting date: 1st June 2018 – Subject to the availability of funding
- (Hierarchically): Program Manager
- (Functionally): Program Coordinator
Contract duration: Initially 3 months – can be extended, subject to the availability of funding
General description of the position: The WASH technical Officer is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals, under the management of the Program Manager and in close collaboration with the Program Coordinator.
S/he guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Responsibility: Ensure the project relevance, quality and design
i. Management and Reporting
- Contribute to technical assessments and data analysis.
- Propose a technical and financial approach (tender documents, BoQ including number of workers) and logistical scope for the programs to be implemented.
- Write the technical annexes and chapters of reports and proposals.
- Provide technical expertise related to the planned infrastructure and engineering works carried out by the project.
- Evaluate the relevance of the activities carried out, as well as the effectiveness of the interventions and their appropriateness with respect to contextual developments and the populations’ needs.
- Use the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline, and Tdh project cycle management handbook.
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for program.
- Support and advise the logistic department for the purchase of specific materials for the program.
- Plan and supervise the program implementation s/he is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications.
- Suggest any adjustments to be made to the activity depending on contextual and indicator developments.
- Working with the administrative department, contribute to developing budgets relative to his/her program and monitor expenses and budget forecasts.
- Develop clear infrastructure monitoring tools (e.g. checklists).
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format.
- In collaboration with the program coordinator and manager, prepare the administrative documents (MoU, handover, etc.) to be jointly signed with government authorities, communities or partners.
ii. Networking, Liaison and Advocacy
- Participate in strategic networking and liaison with stakeholders/partners (including local authorities) at county and community level.
- In his/her assignment area, and upon agreement with the Program Manager, represent Tdh at meetings or forums concerning the activities.
iii. Learning and Innovation
- Generate, document, and disseminate lessons learned and good practices from the implementation of WASH Infrastructure interventions for program effectiveness.
- Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- At least three years professional experience in WASH related field of activity – Engineers who have more years’ experience and female engineers are encouraged to apply
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation or construction engineering
- Experience in working / coordinating with national and local Water and Sanitation authorities
- University degree in water, civil, structural or hydrological/hydraulic, environmental engineering, architecture or equivalent.
- Proficient in the use of drawing software if working in construction and hydraulic engineering
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD, ArcGIS and MS project-management suite or equivalent
- Ability to analyze situations and continued initiative to propose appropriate and innovative solutions
- Capacity to multitask among water resources, environmental and construction projects, while liaising with beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Prior experience in humanitarian or development work
- Experienced in WASH emergency response
- Deep understanding of age, gender and diversity issues with regard to WASH.
- Knowledge of minimum WASH standards (e.g. Sphere)
- Project Management and design experience, as well as project implementation and monitoring & evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management, demonstrated leadership and good management ability
- Strong detail orientation and negotiation skills
- Capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts
- Proven networking abilities at community and national levels
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psycho-logically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
Languages: Fluent in English and Swahili. Knowledge of Somali language is an added advantage.
Other: A strong commitment to Tdh humanitarian mandate and willingness to work in and adjust to difficult contexts
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 31st May, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.