Job Vacancy: Project Nurse Counselor
Project Description: The Women’s Health Project, based in Mombasa was established in 1993, and is a collaborative effort of the University of Nairobi (UoN), the University of Washington (UW), the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Mombasa County, the Ministry of Health, the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC), and the US President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The objectives of the organization are:
- To provide high quality care to at-risk and HIV-positive women participating in the high-risk women’s cohort (Mombasa Cohort).
- To conduct innovative HIV and STI prevention and treatment research that will contribute substantially to local as well as global knowledge and implementation of effective interventions.
- To support HIV and STI prevention, care, and research efforts in Mombasa by training Kenyan researchers and practitioners, implementing technology transfer, and contributing to infrastructure development.
Job Summary: The project nurse counselor will work under the supervision of the Clinic Section Head and in collaboration with the other project staff to ensure smooth running of the research site.
Essential Job Functions
Work with the Research Physician on the following tasks:
- Screening and enrolment of eligible patients
- Conducting face-to-face questionnaires with research participants.
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedures are properly carried out and documented.
- Assisting clinicians as required during examination and treatmentof study participants.
- Collect specimens and confirm correct labeling of the specimens.
- Countercheck specimens and supervise their transportation to the laboratory.
- Avail laboratory results to study participants and treat them accordingly.
- Refer relevant information to the clinicians such as patient’s status and laboratory results, which would assist in proper clinical management.
- Administering prescribed medications, injections and treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
- Provide health education and counseling to study participants on identified health problems and socio-economic issues related to their health.
- Preparing equipment and ensuring examination rooms are clean and stocked with required supplies and materials.
- Perform any additional tasks as assigned by the Principal Investigator, Clinic Section Head and other Section Heads
Qualifications / Skills / Experience
- Diploma in Nursing (Kenya Registered Nursing) from an accredited nursing program.
- At least a Certificate in counseling psychology or a related qualification.
- Registered Nurse by the Nursing Council of Kenya with current license to practice.
- At least 2 years’ experience post college preferably in a clinical set-up.
- Thorough knowledge of routine nursing process and practice including phlebotomy.
- Experience in clinical management of HIV clients is an added advantage.
- Clinical research experience working with key populations is desirable.
- Computer literacy skills with MS Office software.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills.
How to Apply:
Applicants who meet the specified requirements should complete the following ONLINE APPLICATION FORM.
Upon successful completion of the form, an email notification will be sent to the applicant with instructions on how to upload the following documents:
- Letter of application*
- Copy of your National ID*
- Copy of your diploma or degree*
- Copy of your certified transcripts (if available)
- Copy of your registration certificate from the Nursing Council of Kenya*
- Relevant certificates and testimonials
Closing date for applications is 6.00PM on Monday 4th June 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Project Nurse Counselor
Health and Medical
|Company / Organization||
Women’s Health Project
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
Job Vacancy: Project Nurse Counselor
Project Description: The Women’s Health Project, based in Mombasa was established in 1993, and is a collaborative effort of the University of Nairobi (UoN), the University of Washington (UW), the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Mombasa County, the Ministry of Health, the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC), and the US President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.