DSW Youth Can
Terms of Reference
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Place of Work: West Pokot and Bungoma
Reporting to: National Department Manager – Programs and Projects
General Responsibilities: Based in Kitale, the Advocacy Officer will provide support to the effective planning, implementation and monitoring of SHAPE programme activities and achievement of outcomes in target counties.
The Advocacy Officer will work closely with National Team Coordinator- Advocacy, the Advocacy Pillar Lead and other national and regional staff to ensure the activities are implemented based on annual plans, advocacy strategies and budgets.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing and contributing to reports to relevant Managers and senior staff detailing activities, collaborations and best practice.
Under the direct supervision of National Department Manager – Programs and Projects, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support the effective and efficient implementation of the programme in accordance with DSW financial procedures and guidelines assessing progress and providing feedback to supervisor
- Contribute to the development and implementation of advocacy strategies and activity plans to promote policy and budget changes in support of FP/RH at the county and sub-county level in consultation with the advocacy Coordinator and Pillar lead.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with target county level decision makers, relevant committees and executives to improve the prioritization of FP in county policies, budgets and programmes.
- Build relationships with civil society organisations (CSOs/NGOs) including youth and to convene a collective and coherent voice in favour of FP/RH advocacy within the counties.
- Support the development of annual family planning budget and policy reviews, programme outcome and impact report
- Support program monitoring by completing developed M&E tools in a timely manner
- Provide high quality field level monthly, quarterly and yearly reports on project progress.
- Identify, design and deliver appropriate capacity building interventions to target CSOs/ Youth champions on advocacy.
- Support in the development of project proposals including annual work plans and budgets.
- Maintain DSW visibility at county level meetings and events as appropriate.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Degree in social sciences or related fields from a recognised University
- At least 3 years of professional experience planning and conducting a wide variety of advocacy and policy initiatives around the priority areas (FP/RH)
- In depth knowledge of policies and programmes on Family Planning, Sexual and Reproductive Health, Adolescents and Youth is highly desirable
- Demonstrated understanding of the devolved county structure, budget cycle and decision making processes is highly preferred
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills with ability to develop and communicate advocacy related messages and campaigns to different audiences
- Proven ability to undertake basic research, monitoring and evaluation responsibilities
- Fluency in English and Swahili (Oral and Written). Knowledge of local languages of target counties will be an added advantage
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Team player with experience working within geographically spread teams and in a multi-cultural setting
- Willingness to travel frequently
How to Apply
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your salary expectations) with the reference “Advocacy Officer clearly indicated in the email subject line to: email@example.com
Deadline for application: 13th July 2018
Ideal start date:Immediate
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.