Employment Opportunity: Senior Safety Officer
Open to Kenyan nationals only
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance.
It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Regional Delegation in Nairobi is looking for an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the above position.
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: The Senior Safety Officer will be responsible of ensuring the security and safety of ICRC staff, assets, operations and reputation within Nairobi and non-operational areas of Kenya. He\she will develop effective security/safety protocols and ensure the measures are implemented and adhered to by all ICRC staff at all times.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise the Management team on the potential risks to the ICRC staff, assets, operations and reputation based on the analysis of the security environment;
- Advise the Management team on the adjustments required in the overall approach to safety/security in line with the organisational “Duty of Care” obligations;
- Is responsible for the overall management of the security and safety department composed of nine staff members;
Under direct supervision of the Deputy Head of Regional Delegation he\she will:
- Develop security rules for all resident staff and ensure their compliance;
- Develop/update relevant safety protocols and assess their effectiveness;
- Review/update all security documents periodically and make recommendations;
- Develop monitoring tools for a number of security-related issues;
- Ensure all incidents (including near misses) are reported timely in the security management information platform;
- Ensure critical incident management systems are in place and updated when / where required and that all staff are trained on how to react in case of emergency;
- Ensure systematic capacity building of the security and safety department;
- Provide security and safety technical support to all structures and sub-structures within the Nairobi regional delegation area of responsibility
- Advise the Management team on the implication in case of non-compliance to security rules;
- Assess and advise the Administration department on the content of security and safety service contracts
- Participate in the weekly meetings, providing input on safety/security-related issues
- Oversee the corresponding section of the Welcome file quarterly in coordination with the Welcome department;
- Ensure an effective functioning of the safety and security department, through constant mentoring, leadership, elaboration of staff appraisals and development of a feedback recording mechanism;
- Develop protocols of intervention required for the safety officers/guards supervisors;
- Develop effective safety and security protocols in cooperation with and abidance from the security company;
- Liaise with other departments (e.g. ICT, Health staff, Administration and Information Management) to ensure compliance with the respective standard operating procedures;
- Be available to respond to any security and safety incidents at all times;
- Develop a network of formal and informal safety/security working-level interlocutors and systematically writes minutes of meetings;
- Coordinate with Movement components (IFRC & KRCS) for safety related updates;
- Establishes a mapping of relevant security and safety stakeholders;
- Advise and support the Deputy Head of Regional Delegation in strengthening the network of relevant stakeholders.
- University degree in law/International relations or equivalent Police Academy/Military College;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in security management;
- Excellent knowledge and use of Microsoft Office tools;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Customer and solution oriented;
- Proven managerial skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Very good organisational skills;
- Strong analytical skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to: Human Resource Office at the e-mail address; firstname.lastname@example.org before 13th July 2018 (indicate the position title in the subject line).
Please include: detailed Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter, copies of relevant certificates, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.