The Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU) is a governance, health and human rights non-profit making organization, whose vision is A World free from Torture, Violation and Discrimination.
Our Mission is to prevent and respond to Torture, Violence and Discrimination by engaging state and non-state actors in rehabilitation, redress, research, advocacy and movement building, capacity building and accountability.
Over the last two decades we have assisted over 5,000 victims of torture, cruel, degrading and inhuman treatment through the support of our national networks of professionals: doctors, trauma counselors, lawyers, human rights monitors and journalists.
We are looking for a highly organized, committed, motivated person to support our finance and administrative functions.
Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer – Grants Management
Position reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
Duration: 1 year renewable
Main Purpose of the Job: Leadership in grant budgeting, management and accounting including support to team members’ compliance with grant contracts, policy and statutory requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Grant Budgeting,, Management and Accounting
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in compliance with Kenyan laws and /or funding source requirements and that all such laws and requirements are respected and consistently followed.
- Support in budget development for the institution as well as grant budgets.
- Ensure strict adherence to donor contracts, fulfill financial guidelines for each donor through accurate and timely reporting and reliable financial records for future reference.
- Ensure timely preparation and dissemination of the expenditure reports internally for informed decision making.
- Any other assignment that may be given from time to time.
2. Financial Management
- Assist in preparation of annual institutional audit preparations and grant reporting/audit.
- Ensure maintenance of strong internal financial controls, and ensure compliance
- Maintain appropriate accounting records and ensure timely backup of computerized accounting data.
- Assist in implementing financial policies and procedures in financial accounting and accounting for grants to ensure compliance with the generally accepted accounting principles and donor reporting guidelines; for internal and external reporting.
- Support prudent resource management by expenditure verification from receipts received, float refunds e.t.c. and ensure that budget and expenditure reports are sent out to programs teams within the stipulated timelines.
- Manage the inventory
- Assist in departmental planning and execution
- Assist in line management of finance and administration staff
- Lead in proper recording keeping of grant files
Qualifications and Attributes::
- University degree preferably in accounting, business administration, finance, economics
- CPA (K) or equivalent
- 4 years relevant working experience in budget setting and grants management in an NGO setting
- Strong financial and administration background
- Good numerical, analytical and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills, preferably Ms Excel, Ms Navision, MS Word, Power Point)
- Ability to organize work and prioritize tasks
- Shows integrity and commitment, and excellent communication skills
- Observes confidentiality
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written, preferred
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience in managing multiple donor grants and understanding of major donor requirements
- Ability and experience in working in and providing team support
- Familiar with major donor reporting including EU, UN, DFID, bilateral donors.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Commitment to IMLU values
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
If you are the right candidate please send your application letter, curriculum vitae, information on current and expected salary and benefits, and contact details of three professional referees to:
The Human Resources Manager
via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject matter Finance and Administration Officer by 5pm Friday 22nd June, 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details on this position, visit our website: www.imlu.org.
IMLU is an equal opportunity employer.