Job Vacancy: Project Manager, Innovation
Reports to: Senior Manager, Global Innovation
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Do you want your work to matter?
Do you want to use your skills to make a difference, not just a living?
Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods was born out of the spirit of innovation. A decade ago, after accompanying Avon saleswomen in rural African villages, Chuck Slaughter created Living Goods using community health workers to sell medicines and lifesaving products door-to-door. Seven years later, we replicated Living Goods in Kenya. The following year, we expanded to Zambia and Myanmar.
But innovation at Living Goods is more than expansion. It’s also invention.
That’s why we worked with software and biotech partners to create smart phone aps for community health workers to conduct health screenings and treat common ailments at the household level. In Kenya, community health workers are now testing new techniques, like paperless clinic referrals, biosensors to track infant growth, and HIV self-testing kits. In Uganda, they’re testing new self-injectable contraceptives.
But innovation at Living Goods is more than invention. It’s also transformation.
That’s why we’re broadening our model from equipping and educating community health workers to transforming the entire system of community health. We’re now partnering closely with Ministries of Health, helping them incorporate mobile technology, collect and analyze data, stock essential medicines, train and coach supervisors in best practice performance management, and help to guide and incentivize community health workers to be as impactful as they can be.
We’re also transforming the way community health is financed. In global conferences and forums, we’re leading conversations about results-based financing and contracting. Locally, we’re advising county governments on strategies like pay for performance and financial incentives that motivate both health workers and managers.
We’ve created a dedicated team to provide catalytic leadership. The Innovations team will work closely with the country teams to lead the innovation agenda. One arm of the team will focus on radical innovation to transform community health – called LGX. Another arm runs the Innovation Network, a Gates-funded incubation lab that tests community health technologies.
The third arm of team is the Innovation Experiment Program. Led by the Senior Manager, Global Innovation, this arm will lead programmatic, financing and technology innovations. This is where you sit.
Design experiments – You will develop experiments and workplans for new programs, technologies and processes- that can improve efficiency and health impact.
Manage experiments – You will coordinate experiments to test new programs, technologies, and processes. You will work with field teams, partners, and other departments. You will draw insights, identify challenges, and make adjustments needed to ensure success.
Contribute to the idea pipeline – collaborate with colleagues to generate ideas that will make the biggest difference, collating ideas top down, bottom up including input from clients and Community Health Workers.
Manage your team– You will guide and motivate the Innovation Coordinator and Innovation Analyst. Ensure that you work as a team to deliver experiments against the approved design plan, overcome challenges, and monitor and report frequently against success criteria.
Share lessons learned – Share widely what we learn (successes and failures), helping not just Living Goods but also the field of community health, ministries of health, and other community health organizations all around the world
- Project management skills. You have a bachelor’s degree and 4+ years experience managing projects in emerging markets. You like to get things done in a structured, methodical way. You are driven to use data to find solutions and inform decision-making.
- Passion for community health. Ideally, you have experience working in public health or health technologies. If not, you are steadfastly committed to improving health of low income people globally.
- Curiosity. You wonder a lot. You love to day- dream about solutions to problems. You are good at conceptualizing. You like to design things. You read a lot and know what is happening around the world, and new ideas in difference contexts spark your creative juices.
- Collaborative. You know how to motivate people to think differently and to help others set priorities and work towards goals.
- Strategic. You are a quick thinker, laser focused and clear decision maker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
- Lives our values. You can thrive in our culture – you can demonstrate inclusion, integrity, innovation, quick footedness, collaboration, and accountability.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please visit our career page and apply for Project Manager Innovation through our applicant tracking system. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information.