One Acre Fund
We are an international non-profit that works in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, Malawi and Zambia. In these countries, our 5,000+ strong staff serves over 500,000 smallholder farmers and enables them to grow their way out of hunger and poverty.
Job Vacancy: Government Relations Officer
Job Location: Nyeri
Reports To: Relations Specialist
Organization Description: Most of the world’s poor are farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor people in the world. One Acre Fund is a growing NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and Tanzania that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential.
Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a “market bundle” that includes education, finance, farm inputs and solar lights, and market access. Our program is proven impactful-every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure 50-100% average gain in farm income per acre. We have laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
We are growing quickly. In ten years, we have grown to serve 0ver 500,000 farm families with more than 5,000 full- time field staff. Our approach has won widespread validation, winning grants from The MasterCard Foundation and Gates Foundation.
Job Description: The Government Relations Officer (GRO) will be responsible for building effective relations with government officials at the County level and below. General roles include participating in stakeholder meetings, producing and sharing quarterly reports, tracking concerns and supporting resolutions to problems.
Also, he/she will play an active role in coordinating our participation in internal and external field events which include input delivery visits, harvest visits and exhibition days among others.
- Establish, build and manage relationships with government officials at the County level and below through courtesy calls and other meetings
- Act as a focal point between One Acre Fund departments and government officials located within your area of jurisdiction (Central and Eastern regions)
- Review county strategy, policies, acts, and bills, thereafter write briefing papers based on the findings
- Coordinate all regulatory approvals in your area of operation, for example, licenses
- Tracking and participating in resolution of risks and issues affecting field-facing operations
- Coordinating One Acre Fund’s involvement in agriculture shows and agricultural sector functions
- Planning and executing on logistics for events that the department holds in the field
- Prepare quarterly reports, and develop trainings relevant to the department
- Any other duties as may be assigned to you from time to time
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of agriculture, public relations, communication and community development, preferred
- Public relations, community development or agriculture-related experience preferred
- Ability to think strategically and translate that thinking into action plans that accomplish goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to negotiate and effectively advocate on behalf of the organization
- Strong communication (written and oral) and public speaking skills
- Good organizational skills and exceptional at multi-tasking
- Willing to live in Sagana/Nyeri with extensive travel across Central and Eastern regions of Kenya
- Conversant with MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point
- Fluent in English and Swahili. Kikuyu, Embu or Meru speaking applicants are preferred for this position
- Passion for serving smallholder farmers
If you feel motivated to work for One Acre Fund as the Government Relations Officer and if you fulfill our requirements for this role, we look forward to receiving your application by 30th June, 2018.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
You will be prompted to a form that must be completed.
At the end of the form you will have the opportunity to write a motivational letter and upload your CV.
You must be 18 years or older to qualify for any position at One Acre Fund.
One Acre Fund will never ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.