Job Vacancy: Education Assistant
Location: Garissa, Kenya
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development.
We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world.
For more information, visit www.rti.org.
The Education Assistant will provide support to Tusome technical activities that include; materials development, organization of technical workshops and training of Curriculum Support Officers (CSOs), head-teachers and teachers.
S/he will work with the Ministry of Education (MOE) officials and RTI technical staff to help implement instructional approaches to be used in Tusome Project. S/he will provide support for Curriculum Support Officers (CSOs) in teacher support and activities related to research in literacy.
The assignment is designed to provide technical support for effective Tusome implementation.
The job function includes, but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Support the Regional Education Officer in the effective implementation of Tusome at the regional level
- Support effective relationships with county and sub-county officials Contribute to development and revision of instructional materials
- Collaborate with relevant MOEST and TSC experts for effective implementation. Participate in development and revision of training materials;
- Support the training of the technical team, TAC tutors, coaches, head teachers and teachers; Support monthly TAC Tutor zonal/cluster teacher meetings
- Undertake classroom observations
- Provide support for Tusome monitoring activities in the region
- Undertake any other Tusome duties as requested by the Regional Education Officer Chief of Party, (COP) Deupty Chief of Party (DCOP) and Senior Education Specialist (SES).
- Bachelor’s degree in Education (English and Kiswahili) or a Bachelor’s Degree in Arts with education (English and Kiswahili) or a related field with at least five (5) years of experience working in education sector.
- Experience with data collection and research studies, especially literacy related Experience supervising and training data collectors
- Knowledge of Kiswahili and English instruction in Kenya Experience working in urban slum areas
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili required.
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above.
- remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time;
- operating a computer and other office machinery;
- thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI;
- frequently moving about inside and travel between offices and laboratories;
- frequently conducting laboratory site inspections (if applicable),
- ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines,
- ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, consistent demonstration of mental stability and
- ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI procedure 4.2.1.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.