SAPCONE is a Kenyan based non –governmental organization whose mandate is to work with people particularly pastoralist and fisher-folk communities in Northern Kenya as the main beneficiaries of peace and development.
We do this through innovative project implementation for purposes of attaining sustainable livelihoods. Formed in 2006 as community based organization and transitioned in 2011 as National Public Benefits Organization.
Since its inception in 2006 the organization, has implemented several projects on good governance and social accountability, increase access to education and child protection ,support and strengthen community projects for resilience and livelihoods, Promote innovative peace building and recurring conflict among Turkana and cross border communities in South Omo zone in Ethiopia.
SAPCONE is seeking a dynamic and suitable qualified person for the position mention below and be based in the duty station indicated.
Job Title: Counselor
Duty Station: Lodwar
# of Positions: 1
Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide psychosocial support to selected cases of high risk cases or cases in need of specialized psychosocial support or mental health interventions
- Participate in need assessments and project evaluations aiming at contributing to the development of the child protection programme strategy
- To support in the development of intervention criteria for the psychosocial cases and design appropriate technical responses to psychosocial and mental health cases
- Provide training and supervising the CP team and community based structures on the management of children and families with basic psychosocial and mental concerns
- Train CP team members on the child friendly interviews techniques and implementation of psychosocial assessment
- Under the supervision of the Child Protection Technical coordinator, coordinate with the Child Protection Senior officer on assistance response to cases of children in need of psychosocial interventions
- Establish and monitor psychosocial and resilience building activities for all children at existing SAPCONE facilities or in the community
- Develop networks for referral of high risk cases and ensure regular follow ups of cases in need of additional and mental health need
- Participate and represent SAPCONE in relevant working group meetings/Forums at Turkana to enhance coordination and foster good working relationship with partners
- Develop unit reports as required
- He/she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of SAPCONE and the SAPCONE Child Protection Safeguarding Policy.
- SAPCONE expects that its staff professional conduct reflects proper behavior in accordance with local culture and traditions
- He/she assures the moral protection of the name of SAPCONE and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
- SAPCONE intervenes without any affiliation for politics, religion or financial profit. He will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
- He/she commits to observe discretion on any information related to the organization functioning and beneficiary related issues
Qualifications and Competencies
- Minimum bachelor degree in Counselling / Counselling Psychology / Psychological Counselling from a recognized university. Clinical experience is a plus
- Experience in use of community based approaches for the management of psychosocial and mental health issues
- Experience in application of innovative / creative and evidence based psychosocial and mental health issues
- Minimum of three years’ experience with prominence in psychosocial and mental health assignments
- Experience in case management including management of case conferences
- Project reporting and evaluation experience
- Staff supervision experience
- Fluency in English, Kiswahili and Turkana Language, and knowledge of Turkana culture and traditions is a plus
How to Apply:
If you believe you have the above skills and experience and desire to join SAPCONE in the aforementioned capacity, please apply by sending a detailed CV and copies of certified testimonials addressed
to the Human Resources Manager
via the following address: email@example.com
please clearly indicate the position title on the envelope.
Hand-written applications should be addressed to
The Human Resource Manager
P.O Box 125 -30500
OR Hand delivered to SAPCONE HQ Offices in Kanamkemer – Kampi Mpya area.
To reach us by 5pm Tuesday 12th June, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SAPCONE is an equal opportunity employer.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply